Dump978-fa intermittent

If you have a SPARE microSD card, download and write the Piaware 4.0 sd card image. It is much easier than trying to debug and fix the problem.

Detailed instructions are here:

How to Install and Configure Piaware 4.0 SD card image - Quickstart Guide

I’ve got about a dozen extra 32Gig cards since I use them in everything. I’ll do that and start over plus I’ll still have this image to fall back to.

Well it seems you ignored my post about removing the dump978 start script that is probably in your rc.local file.
Can you check that please?

Well I did see your post and I did delete the line about the 978 maint

So can I just delete that script all together?

Not sure why, I did look at it after restarting and that line is gone

Well check the dump978-fa log … can it now grab the SDR?
Check the pgrep command again if 978 is no longer running now.

As you have a piaware sd-card already and now that dump978 should no longer be running try and set up 978 as described for the piaware sd-card: How to Install and Configure Piaware 5.0 SD card image - Quickstart Guide

Or did you just name the pi piaware and it’s not a piaware sd-card image?

Thanks, I deleted the Dump978 directory, reinstalled dump978-fa and did the set up of the two dongles again and now my login of the Pi shows 11% CPU load and the only warning is on the UAT device but it says connected no recent data seen. Looking at the site configuration on the FA homepage it shows 1090 and 978 connected 0 mess so far on the 978 but it is running and not crashing and restarting. All looks good just need some data to decode.

Thanks Les

I’m still not quite sure if you’re on the piaware sd-card image.

pgrep -fa dump978

This will also show if the changing of the gain was successful as it’s in the command line.
I think gain is also in the log for dump978-fa.

Yes I am on a PiAware image version 4. I ran that command the gain was changed to 36 I now have 1 msg from UAT and it looks like 978-fa is running no other 978. No 978-fa reboots it just does not have much traffic from here tonight.

Seems ok

Les

I woke up this morning the Pi login screen shows UAT receiver Normal data received. I looked at my Flightaware page 89 UAT positions overnight and 3 aircraft. So it works and I can play with gain now to find the best setting but it works!

Thanks!

Les

This is very useful for checking 978 gain as the signals as you sometimes only have one aircraft a day (or even week if you’re really unlucky).
GitHub - wiedehopf/graphs1090: Graphs for readsb / dump1090-fa / dump1090 (based on dump1090-tools by mutability)

Generally 978 needs to be tuned to significantly (maybe 8 dB) less gain than 1090 for the decoder to work well.

1 Like

With 5 hours left in the day I have 4,602 UAT messages from 25 aircraft. The closet airport is about 10 air miles away and I have been able to track aircraft doing touch and go till about 800 feet when they disappear the other end of the airport they pop up again about 900 feet looks like 870 and 1090 are about the same so far. I also have gained 250 miles plus now at 13 aircraft so far. looks like by the end of the day at 00:00 UTC I will have a very good day for positions.

Again thanks for all your help. I just left both dongles at their default now that I began playing with gain I stumbled across a pretty good setup. I may just let it run for a week then add or subtract a dB and run another week and compare figures per day. I know that will change but it may be a close average to monitor. I think I have the UAT gain at 40 and don’t remember where I set the 1090 I’ll have to look

Les

ADS-B Mode-S 111,183

ADS-B UAT 9,036

MLAT 1,608

Other 22,778

Total 144,605

UAT Gain 40 1090 gain max

I’ll try -10 next on the 1090 Pretty happy with UAT but I’ll still adjust it Plus or minus 1 at a time
I see -10 is the same as max so I’ll leave it as is for now.