Dump1090-mutability

What are the advantages or not of running dump1090-mutability alongside or instead of dump1090-fa ?

Geoff

1 Like

One very obvious advantage of dump1090-fa is that it has a better / nicer GUI - the SkyView.

2 Likes

Must be some reason someone has gone to the trouble of writing it on git.hub

Geoff

What “it” refers to?
Both dump1090-fa and dump1090-mutability are on github.

2 Likes

Dump1090fa is a fork of dump1090mu, which is forked from Malcom Robbs dump1090, which is forked from antirez, the original, I think.

That is way open source software development works, you can use the work of others, but have to allow others to allow to use your own work.

3 Likes

The beauty of open source. People will take the source code, customize it for their own use/needs, and re-release it under a different version name. It does not need to be anything major, but it could be.

I’m a big fan of open source, so much so that aside from Windows, the majority of other software I have on my PC is open source. The others are freeware.

3 Likes

Ok, understand that. Mistakenly got the impression that dump1090 mutability was created to send Flightaware’s data to ADSBx

Geoff

Was just wondering why it was created. Understand dump1090-fa as part of PiAware’s system but as explained by biekerc it might be FA’s version is derived from mutability version.

Geoff

Here are both version on Github.

OBJ is more actively working on dump1090-fa lately. There were updates to -dev 2 days ago.
He wrote both versions. Not sure why the difference.

FA’s version is forked from mutability

dump1090-fa_forked_from_mutability

1 Like

Interesting question. I was wondering if I made a third Pi what should I install.
I would guess it is a matter of opinion but which version is better? FA or Mutability?

Maybe business reasons?

1 Like

In the sense that he likely has less ‘freedom’ with the FA fork. While ‘anything goes’, so to speak, with the mutability one.

He may try new things on mutability, and then, after useful/successful/approved by the boss, add to the FA version.

3 Likes

If I wanted to change my Dump1090 from Mutability to the new FA, how difficult would that be?

@Cetrian

(1) Remove dump1090-mutability

#purge dump1090-mutability
sudo dpkg --purge dump1090-mutability

#delete left-over folder & files
sudo rm -rf /usr/share/dump1090-mutability

#check to confirm dump1090-mutability no more exists

sudo reboot

apt-cache policy dump1090-mutability

sudo systemctl status dump1090-mutability

(2) Install dump1090-fa

wget http://flightaware.com/adsb/piaware/files/packages/pool/piaware/p/piaware-support/piaware-repository_3.6.2_all.deb 

sudo dpkg -i piaware-repository_3.6.2_all.deb

sudo apt-get update 

sudo apt-get install dump1090-fa

(3) When viewing SkyView map, clear browser cache (Ctrl+Shift+Delete) and reload browser (Ctrl+F5)

Map is at
IP-OF-PI/dump1090-fa/

2 Likes

abcd567, how much affect on everything else that is installed? for instance, FR24 and Plane Finder?

Let me clarify, My second Pi has ADSB Receiver project installed so if I was going to do this, how much will the process screw up the other feeders and web browser that is isntalled by the ADSB Receiver project?

Feeders such as Piaware, FR24, Planefinder, Adsbexchange, Radarbox24, Opensky-network, etc will NOT be affected.

The adsb-receiver project web portal / graphs will be affected, and most likely some or most of these will stop working.

1 Like

@abcd567 Wow thanks for the informative and super-fast reply. I’m hoping you’re still nearby, as I just tried to do this and got stuck. I can’t install dump1090-fa because of some dependancies. I tried upgrading the packages, but they both say they’re at the latest version. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

pi@ryanspi:~ $ sudo apt-get install dump1090-fa
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
or been moved out of Incoming.
The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
 dump1090-fa : Depends: libncurses5 (>= 6) but 5.9+20140913-1+deb8u3 is to be installed
           Depends: libtinfo5 (>= 6) but 5.9+20140913-1+deb8u3 is to be installed
E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.
1 Like

Try to remove then re-install the packages.

maybe try
sudo apt-get install libncurses6 libtinfo6

Sadly, those packages do not exist, and I don’t know enough linux to force this thing to pick a newer version. Will keep googling…

1 Like