do bush planes have?

do bush planes have auto pilot?do bush planes have air brakesor the things that come up to stop the plane like on airline planes?(i’m not a pilot,i’m a wanna be pilot,and i’m 13,so i wouldn’t know this stuff). Thanks for your help.Are none airline planes even called bush planes? :question: :unamused:

Hmmmm… I was actually thinking of starting a Bush Plane thread just for fun.

Stay tuned Nicky, you’ll get more information and opinions than you can handle! :laughing:

my name is actually Nick, nicky is my "nick"name get it hahahahahaha :laughing:

Define bush plane. Are you talking about the Otter, Beaver, Twin Otter, Cessna 206, Cessna 140, and/or ???

Or…

Using Damiross’ definition of a “bush plane” you probably would not find either an autopilot or air brakes. The autopilot has been certified on most aircraft but in the bush flying business it is just more weight and maintenance that is not needed. Air brakes have been certified and installed on a few light aircraft, but not many.
<deleted my own smarta$$ remark on the other bush plane> :smiley:

John in Saudi

Guess what? If you are part 135 and you fly single pilot IFR an Auto pilot is required. I flew in the Alaska Bush for 4 years and yes we had auto pilots

A good book with lots of great photos is:

Alaska’s Bush Planes
Text by Ned Rozell

True, what percentage are IFR 135 equipped would you say?

There is a reason DeHavilland named their plane The Beaver. The Beaver is the ultimate bush plane. Old ones or new ones, I love them all. If you take care of them, they will take care of you. They are usually very expensive to own and maintain but in the end they almost always deliver. If you can’t afford your own, you might try sharing one but that can be very complicated. Don’t ever share one with a friend, you’ll probably end up losing your Beaver and your friend. You can always rent one and only use it when you need it. The rental Beavers get a lot of use. They’re usually beat up a bit both inside and out and generally not very clean. Occasionally all Beavers can go bad and end up costing the owner a lot of money, usually half of their net worth. The bad ones usually can’t be fixed and it’s best to just walk away. One of the great things about the Beaver is you can always find a newer one or one that’s in better shape. Before you commit to one, I suggest you try out several different Beavers. Some have been modified and improved. Some are fast and some are slow. I really like the ones that have just been waxed.

All Beavers can be a bit sensitive and require constant TLC but they can be a lot of fun too. They require a lot of maintenance. Usually you can’t use them for a few days every month. When you first approach one it can be a bit overwhelming. They look just like all the pictures you’ve seen in the magazines or on the internet but it takes a while to figure out where every thing is and how it all works. They’re usually forgiving to newbies and soon enough you’ll get the hang of it. You never forget your first time in a Beaver, ahhh the memories. After you’ve been around a few Beavers and figure things out, you can operate them in the dark. You can have hours of fun in the water or even on snow skis too.

Beavers are best flown by hand, you’d miss out on all of the fun if you were to fly with an autopilot.

I hope the original poster isn’t following this thread anymore.

I was going to help the kid out but in light of what’s happened with his other thread, you guys should be careful.

a great deal of them. it’s hard to do all your work in that state VFR. 99% of all airports have GPS/RNAV approaches.
Now the true “Bush pilots” are part 91 and land Super Cubs on gravel bars and such and are VFR.

It’s my favorite AC to fly.

Wait…what? He was talking about an AC!?

What’s the difference between a Beaver and a Twotter?

The Beaver is a single engine aircraft. It started out with a radial engine. Many have been converted to a turboprop engine.

The Twin Otter (the term Twotter sucks and I think is sacrilegious to a great aircraft!) is a twin engine turboprop.

:smiley:

If this wasn’t one of thosed Xerox’ed office (or probably FBO in this case) jokes, and you wrote this yourself, I’ll put you right up there with Shakesphere Wazzu!!

It’s to late for a full explanation. In short, The Beaver can be a tight fit but it’s much nicer for ownership. The Twot’ is not nearly as nice, can be difficult to handle and they move a lot faster. They’re excellent for a quick ride and they’re really easy if you want to bring a bunch of friends along.

My wife says no Beaver or Twotter for me. Since we’ve had kids, she doesn’t like me playing in the Bush anymore. Too dangerous!