Diversion alert for ATL for Fri/Sat 27-28 Feb

We have, over the next 48 hours beginning at 6am Friday 2/27, predictions for rain, then heavy rain, then hail, high winds, possible isolated tornadoes, then heavy rain again with strong gusty winds, THEN a good chance of accumulating snow into Sunday morning. Should make for nice moments in the tower at ATL rerouting a lot of people all over the place, especially when the strongest of the two storm bands rolls through.

Stay safe. (I hate tornadoes!)

We have, over the next 48 hours beginning at 6am Friday 2/27, predictions for rain, then heavy rain, then hail, high winds, possible isolated tornadoes, then heavy rain again with strong gusty winds, THEN a good chance of accumulating snow into Sunday morning. Should make for nice moments in the tower at ATL rerouting a lot of people all over the place, especially when the strongest of the two storm bands rolls through

I didn’t believe you, considering it was close to 60 degrees(!!) this AM. This should make ATL interesting…Thanks for the heads up!

Yep. Already (12 noon Friday) there are reports of ice in Missouri, tornadoes in Mississippi, and the warm front just passed northward through Atlanta (thus, the 60-degree readings early this morning.) It’s pouring rain now. All of this should make for some interesting routings later today, tonight and Saturday.

So, I may be asking a really stupid question, but if I’m watching the ATL airport activity, will it say when, and to where flights are diverted? What do you do to find them?

No not a stupid question at ALL. There are several ways to determine where the diversions are going.

First of all, 90%+ of the ATL flights are going to be either Delta or AirTran. Their own websites list weather information, and you can just plug in random flight numbers of ATL-bound flights and get information. Keep in mind also that whatever happens in ATL, being either #1 or #2 on the busy list, depending on which survey you look at, will directly impact air travel across the entire country.

But an easier way is to go in the back door, so to speak. When ATL has issues, there are several airports used as primary diversion airports. If a weather system is coming from the south or southwest (usually in the warmer months, with storms, tornadoes, etc.) then flights will divert to airports north of ATL, usually CHA, TYS, HVL, BNA, MEM, sometimes CAE and CHS and AGS.

On days like today, when the major thrust of the system is approaching from the west/northwest, the airports south of ATL will pick up the diversions. This usually includes CSG, MCN, DHN, SAV, GNV, JAX and sometimes PFN, TLH and PNS, depending on where the system is.

It’s always cool to see, for example, a 747 going into TLH, or a 767 into CSG or MGM. That sort of thing makes the ramp guys go bananas. :slight_smile:

Another interesting website for Atlanta traffic is:

www.atcmonitor.com

The radar shows the weather on it as well and you can also listen to ATC.

OK this is probably 50% off topic, but at least it has to do with ATL. I just noticed that DL’s ATL-HNL flight has recently been going over Oregon or Washington. Previously it went over California, which certainly seems the most direct route. I’m guessing jet stream, but still seems like quite a reroute. Any othyer ideas? Thanks

Your guess is correct, the Jetstream has been tending over the southern portion of the US for the past few weeks.

hey buckhead…i’m new to the forums…are you a controller at atl? i’m a unit 10 with ops…just got word that we’re probably going to be called in in the morning :frowning:

THANKS JHEM!

The plot thickens … 2-5" of snow is forecast across a band from JAN-BHM-ATL-AGS-CAE for Sunday midday and afternoon.

Even the -threat- of snow practically paralyzes ATL. This should be fun …

You have an odd definition of “fun”! :laughing:

March is definitely coming in like a lion. Awoke to almost 2 inches of the nasty white stuff on the ground and a freezing rain. Today’s forecast is for an accumulation of 6 to 10 inches by morning Monday and total snow accumulation of 8 to 14 inches by Monday night! :open_mouth:

Don’t you just love global warming? :slight_smile:

I’m tired of hearing “Why was my flight cancelled?” “Snow, in Atlanta, you’ve got to be kidding.” “That’s not possible, how is every flight full today and tomorrow?” I’m glad I stuck in NW Flight Handling Training for the next two days. Oh, I shouldn’t forget, “Why didn’t you call me?” Me: “A, they’re handling thousands of flights and B, they number provided to us is a 1-800 number that let us only contact Travelocity/Priceline/Orbitz/Expedia/ect.”