FlightAware Discussions

Changed USB Dongle. No data on PiAware Skyview

Fitting a makeshift antenna from a piece of wire would be good thing to troubleshoot the problem, something like in this picture:
(Not sure what happened here with my PiAware?)

Then you could better tell if the dongle itself is the problem without moving the antenna.
(I doubt the dongle is the problem because it is obviously receiving something even if it’s mostly noise)

The FA stick has an internal preamp, that’s why I assumed the signal is too high. On mine I had to reduce the gain by 18dB compared with no-name.

Straighten a paper clip and insert in dongle’s input as an antenna.

LE: I see three-four planes now. At night time, the traffic is lower.

Just looked at that greentech web page. There was some data - shown below. So working but not very well?

Edit: Perhaps it is working fine. Looking at FR24 for locations, I saw it picking up targets at 150nm. But a very narrow window. Aircraft over Oradea but for a very short time, Need to consider antenna location.

ICAO Ident Squawk Altitude (ft) Speed (kt) Distance (NM) Heading Msgs Age
471F78 Flag 5650 28,575 ▼ 398 120.8 304° 52 18
885176 Flag THA917 32,975 512 135.1 114° 107 27
8960CD Flag 4721 35,000 64 2

That’s his other dongle i believe :frowning:
(the stats.json i checked has much lower signal and noise reading than with the other setup)

OK , I assumed that was what he was referring to. Even the “other” dongle has a very limited window of view.

Yes You are right. I switched back to my old dongle.

Flightaware Pro Stick Plus works fine. I’ve tested with a linux distro/dump1090 and basic “antenna”. I need to check my Flightaware antenna and cable now. Thanks.

I wouldn’t call that working fine and the wire you stuck in was too long, should be 6.8cm :slight_smile:

Anyway to me it looked like the antenna is working fine, it just picks up strong noise that overloads the amplifier or receiver in the blue dongle.

You could do a scan for noise like described here:
(Do I Need A Filter?)

For that just connect the blue dongle to the antenna how it is installed.
Use a gain of 35 for the spectrum scan.

As for filters there are multiple available.
The round blue filter sold by FA is one option.
Or you can try one from Hong Kong, this one for example:
(https://www.ebay.de/itm/1090MHz-ADS-B-Passive-Bandpass-Filter-BPF-Software-Radio-Software-Radio-SDR/253735059773)
No guarantees, if the filter does what it says it is good but you never know on ebay :slight_smile:

Best filter in my opinion is this:
(https://www.rtl-sdr.com/new-product-rtl-sdr-blog-1090-mhz-ads-b-lna/)

But you need a bias-t to use it, so you need additional stuff.