Any interesting trends from Covid-19

You are right, your fork (readsb) does bring noticeably more positions.

However most RPi users are accustomed to Piaware SD Card image and feel ease and confidence in using it “as is”, and that is one of the main reason readsb is “not so popular”. Same is the case of Flightradar24 users who seem to be hooked to their Pi24 image.

Looks interesting, are you interested in merging those changes back to dump1090-fa?
(Mostly preamble detection changes by the looks of it?)

So the slice_phase function changes are 99% just trial and error.
I had a hunch about neighboring symbols being assumed zero not being a good assumption and using an assumption of half level might lead to better results.
But as i started tweaking … any theory just went out of the window and i just followed an iterative process.

I’ve set a threshold of 75 for the preamble check for your PR that should keep the CPU the same as before or even a bit lower.
Adjust as you see fit from your own tests.
Only compile tested for the moment you’ll want to test it anyhow i assume.
I’ll have to check why the dump1090-fa mag length logic is different i just used the previous used calculation

uint32_t mlen = mag->validLength - mag->overlap;

In readsb it’s just mag->length but … as i said haven’t checked yet on why the difference.
Let me know how the changes work for you.

Improvement of correlation functions and preamble check, merge back from fork by wiedehopf · Pull Request #94 · flightaware/dump1090 · GitHub

Near AMS

Traffic was increased on Saturday/Sunday, but Monday/Tuesday traffic is the same as before Christmas.

With all that COVID-19 stuff in Europe, i am not expecting an increase in the first quarter of 2021

Typical for a day like today.
Perfect weather, lots of leusre flights with all the Cessnas and Pipers…

1 Like

My main feeder is out of the top 3,000 now with just over a third of the number of aircraft that the top place has. Out of the top 1,400 feeders I think there’s only two outside the USA.

I can confirm another drop in aircrafts during the last couple of days, approx 10-15% of my normal volume

The downtrend continues.
With the latest development regarding Covid-19 i am not expecting it will go up soon

Traffic in/out Germany might get even lower:

Air Belgium suspends scheduled flights until March

One of the busiest routes is also closing

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/world/uk-britain-ban-flights-from-uae-busiest-route-flying-travel-14067482

In my area there do seem to be increasing flights in general. But what really takes the temperature here are the air ambulance and life flight aircraft. We have a fair number of rural hospitals that end up having to get people transported to Albuquerque if they take turns for the worst. It’s sobering to watch them and realize the inbound flights generally have a life in the balance.

Long term chart of my receiver. between July 2019 and January 2021
green = daily values
red = monthly trend

German border restrictions are in place since yesterday.
Foreigners from countries defined as high risk are not allowed to enter Germany.

Is the NASA looking for something?

It is planned to start it 20 times from Cologne in February.

News in German:
Boeing 747 SP Sofia: Fliegende Sternwarte startet 20 Mal in Köln | aeroTELEGRAPH

Not a lot of change in this region in recent months. Unrelated to COVID trends, we have fewer sunny days to bring out those peak bursts of GA traffic. Commercial aircraft traffic is flat, as seen in the low points on the chart. The one-off drops are holidays.

@foxhunter

Thank you for the info. Read the article. Will check Februar4th

significant drop during the last 30 days. Graph taken from the numbers in stats.
Yesterday was one of the most silent Mondays since Months.

Again a nice patron.A USA refuelling Boeing. With a jet?

Pretty common that one of these are showing up in the southwest of Germany. refuelling trainings