American Eagle Hub??

Is there an American Eagle Hub or would they not have one because there fleet is RJ’s and Turbo Props??

If you want to call it a hub, which would be a stretch, you could say DFW, LAX, ORD, and I think JFK would be considered “hubs”

Is there a website where you can find airline hubs?? I’ll check

I found this but I don’t know how right it is.

Airport Abbreviations and Hubs:

ABQ Albuquerque, NM WN
ANC Anchorage, AK AS
ATL Atlanta, GA DL
BNA Nashville, TN AA
BOS Boston, MA NW
BWI Baltimore, MD US
CLE Cleveland, OH CO
CLT Charlotte, NC US
CMH Columbus, OH HP
CVG Cincinatti, OH DL
DAL Dallas (Love Field), TX WN
DEN Denver, CO UA
DFW Dallas/Ft. Worth, TX AA DL
DTW Detroit, MI NW
EWR Newark, NJ CO
HOU Houston (Hobby), TX WN
IAD Washington (Dulles), DC UA
IAH Houston (Intercontinental), TX CO
IND Indianapolis, IN US
JFK New York (Kennedy), NY TW DL
LAS Las Vega$ HP
LAX Los Angeles DL US
MEM Memphis, TN NW
MKE Milwaukee, WI NW YX
MSP Minneapolis/St. Paul, MN NW
MSY New Orleans, LA CO
ORD Chicago, IL AA UA
MCO Orlando, FL DL
PHL Philadelphia, PA US
PHX Phoenix, AZ HP WN
PIT Pittsburgh, PA US
RDU Raleigh/Durham, NC AA
SEA Seattle, WA AS UA
SFO San Francisco, CA UA US
SJC San Jose, CA AA
SJU San Juan, PR AA
SLC Salt Lake City, UT DL
STL St. Louis, MO TW
SYR Syracuse, NY US

AA American Airlines
AS Alaska Airlines
CO Continental Airlines
DL Delta Airlines
HP America West Airlines
TW Trans World Airlines
UA United Airlines
US U S Air
WN Southwest Airlines
YX Midwest Express

The list has a lot of errors. First of all, any airport labeled a hub for WN is wrong.

Glancing through the list, Pittsburgh is no longer a hub for US. Nashville is no longer an American hub, although it may be a “focus city.”

Yes, American Eagle does have hubs. They coincide exactly with American’s hubs, just like Delta Connection’s hubs coincide exactly with Delta, etc. MSY was never a hub for CO. STL is no longer a hub for TW mainly because TW no longer exists.

If you go this from a media list (newspaper, TV, etc., you believe it’s wrong for the most part because the media is usually wrong when it comes to reporting on the aviation industry.

That’s what I said!!! Just because you go into so much more detail…geez.

Details, shmetails. In a not-so-good mood today so I needed to vent and I vented by destroying the list of alleged hubs!

Just noticed something else. DEN no longer is a hub for CO and, while they list ABQ has a “hub” for WN (and we all know that WN doesn’t hub", LAS, which has a whole lot more WN flights, shows only HP as having a hub there.

Also to correct that list from what I know (or I think is right, don’t hurt me):

BOS- Not a NW hub
BNA- Not an American Hub
BWI- Not an US Air Hub
IND- Not an US Air Hub
MKE- Not a NW Hub
RDU- Not an American hub (unfortunately :frowning: )
SYR- Not a US Air hub

That list seems to be about 10 years old, at least. Don’t get me wrong, I like remembering when I first flew to STL on a TWA Turboprop, but I don’t think it’s what we’d call “up to date.”

If you’re really that interested I’d check out Wikipedia. They seem to have a pretty up to date listing of hub cities for most airlines. That said, in addition to piggybacking along all of the American Hubs STL is almost excusively an American Eagle/American Connection hub from the TWA buyout. So, if you wanted to say that they had a hub, that’d be it.

Definitely an old list, if it includes TWA. Plus, the list doesn’t mention three of the larger modern-day LCCs:

JFK: B6 (jetBlue)
ATL: FL (AirTran)
DEN: F9 (Frontier)

Also, CMH hasn’t been a “hub” for HP since well before the announced merger w/ US.

I think American Eagle, while maybe not a “hub,” has significant operations out of RDU. Also, MIA, DFW, STL, ORD, and jumpers to a lot of cali cities out of LAX.

MKE and Indianappolis also have significant operations for NWA and their regional carriers. MSY while never a hub for continental used to be a pretty big DL city. There were flight crews and everything based there at one time.

Am I wrong or was BNA a hub for TWA and then became an AA hub after the merger? I know that is the case for STL and MIA when they acquired Eastern.

MIA and BNA were never hubs for TWA. You are correct that STL was a hub for TWA.

forgive my poor syntax. I was trying to say that

STL usedto = TWA
MIA usedto = Eastern

No more or less significant than BNA is to AA now. Not that Wikipedia is the be-all truthful source, but they have a pretty good blurb on this in the RDU page:

However, American started to reduce the size of its RDU operation in September 1993, beginning a 3-year period of reductions before shutting down the hub altogether; in those months, mainline daily departures were brought back to 113. Service was again reduced in May 1994 to 105 departures. In January and May of 1994, a total of 284 employees were laid off at RDU; many more were transferred to DFW, Miami and other stations.

Sixteen additional departures were cancelled in June 1994, but RDU saw a progressive switch from AA to regional subsidiary American Eagle when mainline departures were pared down to 70 in August 1994 while American Eagle flights were increased to 112. However, American announced the regional subsidiary would completely pull out of RDU in January 1995, reducing the number of services left to 50. Service to Paris ceased in September 1994 following the busy summer season.

With 45 daily departure left, the American Airlines RDU hub was officially closed on May 1, 1996, one year after the Nashville hub and shortly before the San Jose hub.

Terminal C, which used to be the entire American Airlines terminal, is now half torn down during a renovation, leaving it with 13 gates, and 3-5 of those gates are deciated to United and Air Canada. AA only goes to these cities from RDU:

Austin, Boston, Chicago-O’Hare, Columbus [Starting Sept 6], Hartford, London-Gatwick, Miami, New York-JFK, New York-LaGuardia, Newark, Orlando [Weekends only], St. Louis, Washington-Reagan

If 12 different destinations makes you a “hub” (which to me means that people are routed through your airport to make connections, something that very rarely happens at all at RDU), then I guess most Southwest airports are “hubs” (snicker snicker, I know they don’t have hubs)

So…you are confirming my belief that AA has significant ops at RDU.
AUS 2x
BDL 4x
BOS 6x
DCA 9x (operated by mainline, I believe)
DFW 8x
EWR 5x
JFk 3x
LGA 11x (I can’t believe that many people in the piedmont need to go to New York a day)
LGW 1x (mainline)
MIA 3x
ORD 5x
STL 4x (AA connection)

Are there any other cities of similar size that offer the same flight options? I didn’t mean that RDU was a DFW, just that well…if you wanted to go to London and you lived in columbus or hartford it could be booked through RDU and one would not have to deal with the cattle corrals at ORD or any of the other AA LGW gateway cities.

Why are tehre so many flight to the NYC area from RDU on AA eagle? Is it a lot of originating traffic or connecting traffic? 9 flights to DCA is a lot as well. I understand that RDU serves Raleigh, Durham and probably a lot of northern north carolina…but that is a high volume of flights, making me suspect that surely some of that traffic is connections.

One final question. Does AA eagle use reverse thrust on landing at RDU ? :wink:

Of the airlines that fly into RDU, the two that have the most destinations are Southwest and American.

Many of the flights offered out of RDU is in response to the local business presence. The area has SAS, IBM (flights to AUS), John Deere, Cotton, Glaxo-Smith-Kline (LGW), Cisco, Nortel, and several others that don’t roll off my tongue/fingers. It’s their prescence, not connections, that make these flights needed.

LGA is a focus city for AA. Considering that many people on the East Coast need to get somewhere else on the East Coast it doesn’t make sense to fly them all the way to DFW/ORD if all they’re doing is going to Philly/Pittsburgh/New York/somewhere in between. It should also be mentioned that every RDU-LGA flight is on an ERJ-135- not what I’d classify as a mass person-mover that you’d find flying at a hub. If I were making a hub I wouldn’t make the plane of choice one that holds only 37 people!

Of those 12 cities, 4 are hubs (ORD, DFW, MIA, STL), 3 are focus cities (LGA, BOS, JFK), and the other 5 appear to cater to special interest groups in the Triangle. Going by the numbers you posted, 51 out of the 61 flights are to hubs or focus cities- 83%. I don’t see that making us a hub. The ability to book flights that pass you through an airport other than your destination doesn’t necessarily make it a hub- It’s technically feasible for me to purchase a ticket that takes allows me to fly ORD- MLI - DFW (I’d probably have to talk to someone about it), since MLI flies AE to both destinations- but that doesn’t make it a hub. I can’t find any magical definition but I’d wager that someplace that is a focus city has 65-75% of its passengers travelling from a non-focus city/hub to a non-focus city/hub. We’re just not that airport.

EDIT: Straight from the horse’s mouth: rdu.com/news/2006/release_012006.htm

A new record was achieved in 2005 for the number of RDU’s origination and destination passengers, or people who began or ended their trip at RDU. Approximately 98 percent, or 9.2 million people were origin and destination passengers last year.

My quick math shows that only 187,755 passengers “connected” at RDU. If we account half of that to Southwest and half to American that leaves 93,878 people to American, or 257 people a day connecting. Your witness. :wink:

San Juan is an American Eagle hub-

Anguilla
Antigua
Aruba
Beef Island
Bonaire
Bridgetown
Canouan Island
Curacao
Dominica
Grenada
La Romana
Nevis
Pointe a Pitre
Port Of Spain
Purto Plata
Saint Croix
Saint Kitts
Saint Lucia
Saint Maarten
Saint Thomas
Santiago
Santo Domingo

Miami also-

Charlotte
Cincinnati
Cleveland
Colimbus
Fort Myers
Freeport
Georgetown
Jacksonville
Key West
Marsh Harbor
Nashville
Nassau
Pittsburgh
Richmond

Beef Island

Now that’s an interesting airport to watch [TUPJ]. British Virgin Islands.

Web site: http://www.bareboatsbvi.com/beef_island.html

When I see the bottom photo I think ‘Yep, I could live here.’