Airtran over restricted airspace

I live near DCA and just heard a couple F16s fly over, which i never usually do. I checked f/a and saw this airtran and its very abnormal flight path. its not the typical river/mt. vernon visual apprch. in fact, the approach follows no procedure that I know of–clearly over restricted airspace (i believe to FL140).

flightaware.com/live/flight/TRS1 … /KATL/KDCA

im wondering if the f16s were dispached b/c the flight was over restricted airspace or vice versa

Vice-versa? You’re probably right. The Airtran flight was probably dispatched because the F-16’s were over restricted airspace.

well they couldve at least dispached a delta 757. these military cutbacks are getting out of hand

Now that is funny!

sorry gang–i forgot tomorrow is veterans day. they were probably practicing for some related event.

so i guess the gov’t is even going to low cost carriers now. sheesh…

Here’s the path of the approach:

I work in NW DC and watch air traffic from our building’s rooftop. I often see planes approaching from the south take a similar route to make the River Visual approach, but I think the ones I see are farther out to the east - outside of the District’s boundaries. Yeah, this looks a bit unusual, but still they were outside of the prohibited areas which are pretty much dead-smack in center of what would be the diamond shape of DC - just north of the airport.

I didn’t see either the AirTran flight or the F-16s, but I imagine the two events are unrelated.

F-16s couldn’t scramble fast enough to catch such a deviation.

100+ mile deviation wasn’t enough time to scramble F16s :stuck_out_tongue:

ha, i overreacted after hearing something louder than the usual MD80s taking off. agree, that approach usually has much longer “legs”
thanks

Here’s the path of a typical flight I see circling around the east to the north of DC. The AirTran flight was just a little inside the boundaries of the city limits, but not by much. This flight skirted right along the NE line.

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b8/CheckM8/EGF4679.jpg

EGF4679

yeah, im used to seeing that approach being directed from the south. its not too common to see those final legs so tight. depends on traffic flow i suppose

also im seeing f/a listing flights from/to ORD on american eagle now? thats new? more MD80s i say! at least NWA is bringing in some of their smokey old DC9s!

even saw the usair shuttle in rare, PSA livery yesterday. good times