Airport with most confusing name?

KCKB North Central West Virginia Airport
Clarksburg, West Virginia, USA

Could you get more directional nouns into the title? God forbid you have to taxi to the SOUTH end of the NORTH CENTRAL WEST VIRGINIA AIRPORT.

At Miramar back in the day we would advise unfamiliar pilots to:

“Remain north of the east-west boulevard south of the field”

Somewhat related, how about the road named South Airport Road? It’s NORTH of San Francisco International Airport.

Um, it is EAST of Clarksburg.

Roger

When Kennedy was shot in Dallas, to get the Parkland Hospital, they went west on northbound I-35 E (the E is for east).

don’t know about confusing but here are some funny ones.

1. Batman Airport (BAL) Turkey

2. Useless Loop Airport (USL), Australia

3. Black Tickle Airport (YBI), Canada

4. Mafia Airport (MFA), Tanzania

5. Moron Airport (MXV), Mongolia

6. Ogle Airport (OGL), Guyana

7. Brest Airport (BES), France

8. Eek Airport (EEK), USA

9. Pickle Lake Airport (YPJ), Canada

10. Raspberry Strait Airport (RSP), USA

Two More funny ones

Truth or Consequences Municipal Airport (KTCS)

Fulton County Airport (KFTY) was formerly called Charlie Brown Field

How about ‘Wheeling Ohio County’ Airport in Wheeling West Virginia. It’s just across the Ohio River from Ohio in Ohio County, WV.

Try looking that up in your Ohio AFD while airborne, which is in an entirely AFD than WV.

8 posts in, and no mention of the Greater Green River Intergalactic Spaceport? (48U)

:wink:

BL.

I remember years ago that the Atlanta airport was named “The Hartsfield International Airport” and in the approach plate booklet, it wasn’t listed under A for Atlanta, or H for Hartsfield, it was T for “The.” Great government logic.

I would say any airport named after a person, especially when the city is no longer in the name.

For example:
William and Hillary Clinton National Airport
Louis Armstrong International Airport
Bush Intercontinental Airport
Abraham Lincoln Capital Airport (who knows where this is without looking it up?)
Arnold Palmer Regional Airport (or this one?)

I can understand people wanting honor certain home town “heroes” etc., but it makes it very difficult to know where you are. If you didn’t know who the people were, and future generations will recognize the names less and less, then you have no idea where the airport is. It also becomes difficult to find the airport in approach plate books and other sources, because its name has nothing to do with its location.

William and Hillary Clinton National Airport (I guessed Little Rock, was correct. It’s official name is William and Hillary Clinton/Adams Field)
Louis Armstrong International Airport (New Orleans, official name Louis Armstrong New Orleans International)
Bush Intercontinental Airport (Houston, official name George Bush Intercontinental/Houston)
Abraham Lincoln Capital Airport (Springfield, IL, officially Abraham Lincoln Capital)
Arnold Palmer Regional Airport (Thought it was in West Virginia but found out it was in Latrobe, PA)

Official names are those shown on the FAA’s Airport Master Record

Not on the original list is another tongue twister: Norman Y. Mineta San Jose International.

:smiley: Follow the money! The airports are renamed to longer names due to the sign making lobby - more letters on the sing, more money for them!!! :laughing: