Airline News: Delta Airlines

This thread dedicated to news in relation to Delta Airlines.

Okay, to start off my own thread, Delta is closing the c concourse, which is not liked by many, but to me just shows Delta’s commitment to Cincinnatii.

I wonder what Cincinnati will do. They will clearly have less landings (with Delta cutting almost 25% of flights), and gate fees.

bizjournals.com/dayton/stori … ily15.html

I was told that the flight schedule has nothing to do with the change of concourses. Delta wants to eliminate ground boarding at KCVG.

Makes sense - both of Northwest’s cold-weather hubs (MSP and DTW) have completely eliminated ground boarding, even Saabs use specially designed jetways.

I would think the schedule would have something to do with it. At one point, Delta had over 600 flights a day at Cincinnatti. Now, it is a little above 300. To me, they are eliminating gate fees. Because of the smaller operation, it makes sense to consolidate, and perhaps eliminate ground boarding, but if they still had a 600 flight hub, they would need that concourse.

The flights were eliminated before the decision to remove Concourse C.

In my opinion, we really need more flights to Cincinnati because Atlanta always gives us problems, though it is only a 20 minute flight. We have 10 flights a day, 8 to KATL and 2 to KCVG. The KDAY-KCVG flights are usually oversold. It would also be a good idea to maybe have a flight to KSLC from here because we do get a lot of passengers going to the west coast.

But they don’t need the gates because they have a smaller operation. To me, this is in some ways good and in some ways bad. I mean, the operation is more consolidated but clearly shows that they have no desire to ever build the hub up again. I don’t think you will see flights to SLC from DAY. It overfly’s another hub (sort of). Many cities that have flights to every airline’s hub are going to see that change.

I mean (as an example), why not route the people from Portland through Salt Lake versus spitting them up and sending some to Salt Lake and some to Cincinnatti. Longer flights are harder to make money on.

True. I just wish that we didn’t have to send people to Atlanta because, well a lot of people don’t like having to go to Atlanta. I had a friend go from DAY-ATL-MKE. that just seems like a lot of useless travel time. The problem is Cincinnati is too close and Salt Lake is too far so everything goes to Atlanta.

They just eliminated KAVP to KATL so now our only Delta choice is KCVG. I really don’t mind this as I prefer CVG. I also like the C concourse and don’t mind the ground boardings. O well.

that’s wierd. You would think it would be quicker to drive then do all that extra flying.

I’ve been told that March 9th is the expected date in which Delta will take over NW flights. Now that is when operations are going to align, not nessecarily operating certificates, that is still up to the DOT.

See full article at Dallas Morning News

Delta to offer regional jet service from Love Field to Memphis

Delta Air Lines Inc. is expected to announce today that it is launching flights in July between Dallas Love Field and Memphis, Delta’s second attempt to serve the airport with regional jets.

The three daily round trips will be provided by an independent carrier, Memphis-based Pinnacle Airlines Inc., flying under the Delta Connection banner and using 50-seat regional jets.

The Wright amendment bars nonstop flights between Love Field and most states, including Tennessee. However, the restrictions do not apply to airplanes with 56 seats or fewer.

Delta-owned carriers currently offer three daily flights to Memphis from Dallas/Fort Worth International Airport: a Northwest Airlines Inc. flight with 124 seats and two Mesaba Aviation Inc. flights using 76-seat jets. American Airlines Inc. offers five flights with 140-seat jets each day.

Delta said the new flights are part of its efforts to beef up its service between Memphis and Texas. Pinnacle recently started Delta Connection service to Lubbock and McAllen with two daily flights to each.

How much longer is the wright amendment going to be in place? I think iv heard it is going away in a year or two.

It’s in the process of going away. In another 3-5 years (don’t recall the exact year), you’ll be able to have flights to/from DAL from any of the 50 states, DC, and US territories. Until then, you must stop in certain states before continuing to/from DAL.

States that touch TX.

Missouri was added in 2005

Ah ha tks for the update.

If anybody has been to CVG, then it doesn’t matter if you are in A or C, you still have to go outside to board an aircraft. Most of the Delta Connection (Chautauqua) flights were in A concourse… While all the Comair flights were out of C. IMHO, I feel C Concourse is so much nicer. I miss walking those concourses preparing for my daily flights… :frowning:

Hi, I recently applied for a position with DL at GSO, I was wondering what the application process was like after taking the assesment. Also, out of the four choices you put on your application how often do you get your second choice? Being that I worked at UAL for 2 years, when I wanted a work area of my choosing i always bid FIS as my second choice and I always got it. Does this mean if I apply for RDU as a second choice with DL i would get that?

Sorry for being so wordy

Thanks for your help in advance

J

Hi Jay!

First congrats and good luck, we hope you get the job! :smiley: As for the question regarding your base location… It really depends on what the airline needs are at the time, when they place you. I wish I could say there was some hidden system on placing bids and awarded assignments, but this is not the case. GSO is a very nice location. Good luck, and keep up posted.