ADSB Feeder Skyview , Radio , MLAT , GPS Issue

You can’t use filters with the flightfeeder.
Also it is already really good at receiving signals, there is no need (it has internal filters).

The hills and mountains can’t go away with 1m of pipe :wink:
But the picture right now looks like the antenna isn’t even completely clear of the pipe it’s attached to.

Optimally not only the top but also the part above the mounting bracket has a clear view in all directions.

It should be mounted like this:

I can’t really advise you on lightning safety. (But extending that metal pipe upwards half a meter maybe in my non expert opinion won’t change much)

1 Like

For what it is worth, I recently experienced a similar problem in nature. I found after one of the recent updates, my gain was set to zero. After fixing that, I was back in business. Just something to consider…

1 Like

He’s on a blue flightfeeder. I’m not sure you can even change the gain on those.
Maybe there is a setting somewhere in the menu but it would surprise me if the default was not a good setting.

1 Like

The orange flight feeders got a new menu at the last update, and anyway always had gain adjustment. Don’t know how the blue flight feeder works, but I assume that the small GPS antenna needs to be by a window or something.

1 Like

The GPS antenna is integrated into the normal roof mounted antenna.
That’s why you can’t use filters because the GPS signal is transmitted via the coax at a different frequency.

So no it doesn’t need to be close to a window. (In the install video it is suggest to put the main antenna near a window to test everything which makes sense)

1 Like

Ah, cool, cool, cool

PS:
In future, when the forum makes me need to put more than 20 characters, I’ll do what I did above.

1 Like

Anyway Thank You Guys For Your Valuable Suggestions :slight_smile:

Is that enough ? :joy: I can’t make this enough than higher :grin::no_mouth:

Oh my that was more than i was proposing!

You better reduce that or the next wind might destroy your water tank :hushed:
(or whatever that is attached to)

I guess it didn’t help much huh?

Always nice to get above the treeline but that sure will increase the risk of a lightning strike, so i personally would probably stay below the tree line :slight_smile:
(And even then it will still increase the risk compared to not having a pole sticking up)

Also the antenna pointing straight up is better for reception due to the way the antenna is built.
(Tuned for best reception on the horizon) (But for testing the higher position this should be fine i doubt you are gonna leave it that high anyway)

Okay then i will make straight to the tree line :smile: Dont wanna make a risk with The God Zeus

My suggestion is to compare your results with nearby sites instead of looking at the overall FA map. Tha will give you a good indication of how good your setup is. And for that, you would need to keep your feeder running continuously. I notice your feeder has hardly stayed on in the last week or so and a week’s data will give you a decent idea about the quality of your setup.

The other thing to look out for is the cable length and joints. Keeping the cable wound up can also have an undesirable effect on your reception. Conversely poorly jointed or a cable over 10 m or so will see significant signal losses. Maybe my eyes are playing tricks but i thought the last photo you put up had a cable joint?

1 Like

My ADSB is connecting MLAT with 8 nearby sites and I got this feeder 2 days ago . Cable is 15M lengthy and what setup is fine, not getting a loose contact. After a research got it the nearest terrain issue is a problem.

Did you fix your problem? I have the same problem with my FF too

@sarry86 The only problem is that… you are the only one feeder in a very large area. Unless your antenna is high and clear of obstacles, you won’t be able to find many MLAT “partners”.
I took a snapshoot of the map on this link, for exemplification:

Your FF is the one circled in red, and based on Google Maps distance measurement, the two closest feeders from you (that need to be used for MLAT) are at approx 165 miles (265 km) and 200 miles (320 km) away.

Yeah that’s me, I was given a shorter coaxial cable (5m) so i can’t get it higher enough, no obstacles around my antenna and there’s no nearby buildings that blocks it

Height is not that important by itself, just to clear obstacles around, to horizon. Buildings or tall vegetation.
You can ask FligtAware for a longer cable if you have means to put up a higher pole, you are a premium, unique almost, feeder in your area (in my opinion).

In contrast, I have a 200 mile radius of reception in US East Coast. My receiver is “synchronized” for MLAT with 166 others in that radius!

Which exact problem do you have?

MLAT likely won’t work due to the low number of receivers around you. No need to worry.
The radio symbol may turn yellow when no airplanes are around i believe. That’s not a problem either.

If your antenna can see in all directions you don’t need a longer cable.

Your GPS is working i assume? That should only be red after switching the device on and then remain green.

Look at the “Coverage Graph”.
You are receiving planes in the NW direction from more that 200 miles away, I would say that’s a good range.
Also I see there that you have not received many planes to SE of you. Either that side is blocked or… there are really no air routes that direction.
Looking at live map, looks like the second alternative might be true, I see only one plane now on that side of your radar location.

You can check FlightAware ADS-B Coverage Map - FlightAware
In blue you can see that even with coverage from space there is not much going on regarding air traffic.

Probably a weekly flight. That one route you can see to the SE might also be flown by a turboprop at 20000 ft and that may be out of coverage of his site already.

To me it looks like the feeder is working properly.

I agree, it’s remote location, without much coverage.
sarry86 You can try to convince other 2-3 people with internet connection in your region to apply for receivers, to get that triangulation working. They need to be some distance away, the larger the base, the better precision you get.

For optimal coverage, receivers should be 10-150 km apart and in a triangular, square, or circular pattern – not in a straight line like along a road. Recruiting other people in your general area to host new PiAware or FlightFeeder sites is the best way to grow the availability of FlightAware’s MLAT network.