ADS-B Receiver Project Setup Scripts

Version 2.3.0 Merged to master and New Image Released

Getting clean and ready to advance.

The main focus of this release was cleanup. Nearly every bit of bash scripting has been cleaned up, optimized, rewritten, or split apart. All descriptions, instructions, and user input in now displayed or collected via whiptail dialogs. Also the output generated by the scripts should be much more easier to view and read through.

The web portal’s advanced feature set has been worked on as well with the focus put on squashing any remaining bugs before work begins once again on adding new features. Speaking of advanced features the Python script collecting flight data has been optimized even more to cut back even further on system overhead.

There have been other bugs fixed since the v2.2.0 release as well. A full list of changes can be found below but first…

A Special thanks goes out to the following contributors!

@adamkaplan for his continued optimization of the flight logging script.
@jdwall who contributed a new more graphical README as well as grammatical fixes.

Version 2.3.0 contains the following changes.

• Massive clean up and in some cases an overhaul of the installation bash scripts.
  • Updated the dump978 map by modifying newer dump1090-mutability map.
  • Crontab errors pertaining to collectd no longer emailed to the root user.
  • The image setup script now executes the portal install scripts to setup the portal.
  • Script now comments out NET_BIND_ADDRESS to bind dump1090-mutability to all IPs.
  • Moved the logging portion of the portal install script into it’s own file. (advanced)
  • Flights.py has been optimized even further. (advanced)
  • Flights.py now logs the aircraft ID when logging positions. (advanced)
  • Many bug fixes pertainng to the advanced portal features setup process. (advanced)
  • Fix aircraft column issue not allowing SQLite installs to upgrade properly. (advanced)

The full release announcement including install and upgrade instructions can be found at…
adsbreceiver.net/2016/09/15 … -released/

The Raspbian Lite v2.3.0 ADS-B Receiver Project image can be downloaded from…
github.com/jprochazka/adsb-rece … tag/v2.3.0

Burned adsb-receiver_2.3.0_raspbian-jessie-lite.img
Ran ./install.sh twice.
dump1090-mutability, web portal/graphs, data feeders piaware, planefinder, flightradar24, and adsbexchange installed and configured.

map ok
graphs ok
all data feeders working ok

Manual Install of v2.3.0 on raspbian-jessie-lite.img

1. Burned “2016-05-27-raspbian-jessie-lite.img”
  2. Ran following commands

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install git
git clone https://github.com/jprochazka/adsb-receiver.git
cd ~/adsb-receiver
chmod +x install.sh
./install.sh

Installed & configured dump1090-mutability, web portal/graphs, data feeders piaware, planefinder, flightradar24, and adsbexchange.

map ok
graphs ok
all data feeders working ok

To DO LIST

1. Burn Armbian img (for Orange Pi PC) and install web portal
  2. Burn Piaware 3.0.4 img and install web portal.

Did an upgrade to my old v2.2.0 version on Jessie reinstalling Dump1090, Dump978 and the Portal. Everything went smoothly.

Thanks!

hi jprochazka,
i updated my advanced install to the new 2.3.0
But after updated my sites are still empty.

so i delete the www directory.
new install.
select mysql.
type my correct login for the db in ip/install.php
after enter last step the side is emty
;(

wheni choose “normal” install
everything works ;/

@antonov124

By empty do you mean everything works but no data is displayed anywhere?
BTW you should be going to IP_ADDRESS/install.php to complete the installation.

yeah AFTER i fill out the install
is the side emty

Am away from home so shall install on return. :slight_smile:

I have been trying to get this working for months, everytime i do it the install page is blank, last week when i tried it would redirect to the piaware status page.

@Those getting blank pages…

I need more information in order to help so if you could…

First off make quick edit to /etc/php5/cgi/php.ini…

sudo nano /etc/php5/cgi/php.ini

Look for…

display_errors = Off

Change this line to…

display_errors = On

Then reload Lighttpd…

sudo /etc/init.d/lighttpd force-reload

Then go to the blank page in question and report back any error you receive.
If you could pass along your browser and OS information as well that would be helpful also.

Display erros = on

no errors at page ;/

different os
windows: 7 8 10
firefox, internet exploter
osx 10.11.6
safari / firefox

;(

Well done Joe. 2.30 installed off image perfectly, all working correctly and indeed very much cleaned up. :slight_smile:

Jeff

Whenever I go to the portal page I get automatically redirected to the /install/upgrade.php page. It also seems like my time zone isn’t saving. Any ideas as to what would be causing this? I’m at a loss.

@rhodenr

Was this after an upgrade or a clean installation?
Were advanced portal features installed?
If so what database type are you using MySQL or SQLite?

It was after an upgrade. I’m pretty sure I don’t have the advanced portal features enabled. You think it would make sense to just start over with a clean install?

I just ran the upgrade again and now I’m in the same scenario as the other poster who said he gets nothing but a blank page, which is what I’m also getting now. The source for that page, according to Chrome, is this:

<html>
<head>
<script>window.close();</script>
</head>
<body>
</body>
</html>

I may have access to one of the devices soon.
Will get back to you as soon as I am able to have a look at it.

I used the script this morning per direction from ABCD567.

Worked FLAWLESSLY. I started from a brand new image of Raspbian, updated and set up for wifi. Nothing else.

I had to work hard to pick my jaw off the floor when it was over.

Two comments: 1) when my terminal window changed to the script terminal, the font was very light, I don’t know if that is configurable. 2) It would be helpful if early on you had a note that said for this to complete you need the following information so gather it up before you start. I had it all handy, but was worried something would go wrong or time out.

Again, this was brilliant. Thank you sooooo much.

@jcinnb

I rewrote the scripts to add a little more contrast between text explaining what is going on and what is actually going on. Might have missed switching to the default text color somewhere along the way. I will take a look into fixing this for the next release. Until then log out and back in and things should be back to normal.

If logging out is too much of a pain execute the following line:

echo -e "Changing font color to the \e[49mdefault color..."

I tried this image, but could not get it to work with wifi dongle. Edited the file called out at the WIKI. Are the drivers for the KanaKIT wifi USB in the image?