Add Weather

Hi. I made a small weather station for fun and now I know the wind on an airfield. I think it will be good to make piware available to send weather info too.

I don’t want to speak for the developers, but the problem there will be coordinating with the makers of each type of weather station to be able to access and identify the data. There are dozens of weather stations on the market now, and each manufacturer is going to have its own way of formatting the data. The FA team would have to set up each type one-by-one, and then they’d need to update as each new format comes on the market.

Maybe there’s a standard data format I’m not aware of, but even then the protocols to access each station’s data will likely be different.

Thanks for an answer.
Like we are purchasing raspberry pi, SDR… we can purchase small weather station. Mine has - wind velocity, wind direction (ultrasonic), temperature, humidity, pressure. cost is about 100 usd + transportation. It has rs485 . I added it to raspberry, + MQTT protocol for the publishing.
We only have to make JSON format file for additional data other then flight information to send to aggregator and add some pipe to the piware software to gather that kind of nonflight info,
Thanks. P.S. here is mine wind chart.

I’m not saying it can’t be done. I’m just pointing out that there’s probably a fair amount of development required. I’m sure there are lots of ADS-B users who also have weather stations. The question is would the data be valuable enough for FlightAware to spend time on development when they can probably get the data aggregated from sources like the National Weather Service, its UK and European counterparts, and other such entities.

Yes, you are right. From my point of view… Georgia has too many mountains, gorges and sometimes it is not enough to see weather service infos. you have to know what is locally right now. I made this station for a small airfield in Georgia, and also need a few more for a shooting range too :slight_smile: Thank you for your answer.
Best Regards.

It’s an interesting idea, and maybe the admins will look at it. I just see a lot of challenges, that’s all.

[Deleted the part where I thought you meant Georgia, USA, not Georgia, boundary of Western Asia/Eastern Europe]

1 Like