Accident Reporting Site

Just info for those who are interested in accident reporting sites:

faa.gov/data_statistics/acci … nary_data/

I think the above has been posted here and possibly this one, also: NTSB Aviation Accident Database & Synopses. The NTSB contains both preliminary data and full reports going back to 1962.

There is also RSOE Havaria Emergency and Information Service. This reports on all types of accidents and incidents and wildfires and earthquakes and other stuff.

Yea, I know the RSOE may have been mentioned before but (a) I’m too lazy right now to search the forum for it an d(b) it’s good to have all three sites listed in one topic.

The offers the advantage to review all accidents and incidents. Most of them are not reported or investigated by the NTSB.

The National Transportation Safety Board is an independent Federal agency charged by Congress with investigating every civil aviation accident in the United States and significant accidents in the other modes of transportation – railroad, highway, marine and pipeline – and issuing safety recommendations aimed at preventing future accidents. The Safety Board determines the probable cause of:

* **all U.S. civil aviation accidents** and certain public-use aircraft accidents;
* selected highway accidents;
* railroad accidents involving passenger trains or any train accident that results in at least one fatality or major property damage;
* major marine accidents and any marine accident involving a public and a nonpublic vessel;
* pipeline accidents involving a fatality or substantial property damage;
* releases of hazardous materials in all forms of transportation; and
* selected transportation accidents that involve problems of a recurring nature

Source: About the NTSB Emphasis mine.

"an independent Federal agency charged by Congress with investigating every civil aviation accident in the United States "

Cool theory, after you compare every incident reported on the FAA site to the NTSB site you will find this is not true.

It could just be that the NTSB doesn’t have a preliminary report out on the most recent incidents. The FAA site has the bare bones details on the incidents, that’s all.

The key there is the difference between an incident and an accident. I think the ntsb does show some incidents if they happen to airlines.

It’s strange, though, because the NTSB has a report on the turbulence injury on the UA flight at DEN, but not the turbulence incident that caused a severe injury on a LH flight coming into MIA, which happened the day before.

[quote=“Newark777”]

The LH flight was turb at 38,000, man in rest room with seat belt sign on. Severe head injury.

UA… as in United Airlines - as in United STATES Airlines
LH… meaning Lufthansa? The GERMAN carrier?

The NATIONAL Transportation Safety Board wouldn’t have any authority to investigate an incident of a foreign carrier which hadn’t yet reached US airspace (if that is te case). I’m not familiar with the incident, so if it DID happen over US soil/waters, then I think it would have the authority - but maybe didn’t push it for diplomatic reasons…

At FL380, I’d say it was in international airspace.

You should check some of incidents that the NTSB does investigate or at least gather facts. They are from all over the world and wherever they occur.

Check the June 2006 NTSB reports. They gathered factual information for BE36 in Australia, a 737, PA 23 both in England, an HS25 and a C206 in Venezuela and C208 Mozambique

There’s a difference between “gathering facts” and “investigating”. I’m not sure, but I think some countries will invite NTSB investigators to help investigate, sometimes they must rely on facts learned from investigators of other countries. I’m not certain of the international/diplomatic laws of aviation (IANAL), but if one of OUR carriers crashed on foreign soil, then the NTSB may have the right to investigate or perhaps be present while the other country’s people investigate. I guess it’s all spelled-out in maritime law somewhere…

The FAA site doesn’t receive every report, as can be determined by the fact that the Atlas 747 that went off the runway in Colombia never showed up on it. The key sentence on their website is “This page provides access to preliminary accident and incident data that has been received by the Office of Accident Investigation during the last 10 business days.” (emphasis mine).