Investigating a diverted flight

My wife was on Delta flight 1165 a couple weeks ago when they had an engine failure and had to make an emergency landing. No injuries, or anything, but plenty of emergency grew were standing by. The flight tracker history shows it pretty well:

flightaware.com/live/flight/DAL1 … /KATL/KBHM

She said that someone told her there would be an investigation and report about the incident. Anybody know how do find out more details about this? I couldn’t find anything on FAA’s / NTSB site - probably because it wasn’t deemed as an accident. Nothing either on Delta’s or Birminham Airport’s site (where they landed). I’d like to know more about the engine failure, but I don’t know where to look. Any thoughts?

Also, there seems to be a discrepancy in the tracking log for this flight. I don’t think its possible to be at 34000 feet, drop to 11000 feet in two minutes, and then climb back up to 31000 a minute later. Is this explainable?

Answer to the altitude question HERE

NTSB only repots on ‘accidents’:

An occurrence associated with the operation of an aircraft which takes place between the time any person boards the aircraft with the intention of flight and all such persons have disembarked, and in which any person suffers death or serious injury, or in which the aircraft receives substantial damage.

and some ‘incidents’:

An occurrence other than an accident, associated with the operation of an aircraft, which affects or could affect the safety of operations.

ntsb.gov/Info/gils/gilssyn.htm

So it’s up to NTSB if they want to report it or not. If they don’t, then it’s only up to Delta to do it themselves.

For what qualifies as an incident:

frwebgate.access.gpo.gov/cgi-bin … &TYPE=TEXT

You’ll note that a precautionary shutdown doesn’t even make the list.

My guess is that this is strictly going to be a Delta <-> Boeing <-> Engine manufacturer deal.

The FAA has a webpage for Preliminary Accident and Incident Reports. It covers the last 10 work days. Today’s earliest incidents/accidents are 18 January so you missed it by one day. :frowning:

PARTIALLY CORRECT. **

If there was damage (very well researched and documented by aaronw), then preliminary reports by the NTSB are available earlier then 10 working days.

ACCIDENT DATA can be retrieved back to 1962 at ntsb.gov/ntsb/month.asp MOST incidents as described by aaronw do not show up on this particular link.

For this particular flight, like aaronw sez, this particular flight wont’ be in the NTSB database.

I just don’t want the original poster to think that only the last 10 days of accidents data as stated by Dami above are available when in reality you can go clear back to 1962 for accident data.

Further more, once the FAA FSDO finishes their paper work, I would suspect, they pass on their information to the NTSB to investigate their portion.

While NTSB is investigating, the status will show preilimary in my provided link. After the investigation is done, the status will change either to factual or probable cause.

In my opinion, fortunately, this does not answer the original question, as this kind of NTSB database, I’d suspect most people would rather not be documented in. :slight_smile:

Allen

Who told her this? A uniformed crew member or some clown in the peanut gallery? The crew may have to document what happened to the engine, what procedures were followed and that there were no injuries or complaints from the pax. This documentation is probably internal to the airline or maybe some type of report has to be filed with the FAA regarding the diversion.

Most often, the engine didn’t fail but rather had a warning light causing the crew to shut down that engine to prevent any or further damage. Even when the engine does ‘fail’ it may just be a compression stall or other less severe failure. Most likely there were no fan blades impaled into the cabin, etc…

dorp7… unless you and your wife have a complaint, maybe you can send a nice letter to the airline and appropriate parties in Birmingham …thanking them for their efforts to bring your wife home safely. :slight_smile:

That would be like doing the right thing :smiley:

VERY well put! (emphasis mine)

Allen

Thanks. Looks like I missed the 10 days for that FAA. I sent an email asking for the report - we’ll see how nice they are. And yes, I’m grateful to Delta, Birmingham airport, the FAA, and all the engineers (like myself) who make air travel safer.

Very good, liberman. Ever hear about being tactful?

However, the original poster was asking about an incident, not an accident. The web page I pointed out to him covers incidents. I could have given him a book like you did but I wanted to give him just the information he need (which, unfortunately, was one day short).

You must be related to some people I work with. I ask for the time and they tell me how a watch works. In other words, too much excess data for the job to be done.

Anybody with a brain and the knowledge of Google could look up accident reports. By the way, you can get them prior to 1962, if you know where to look. Because you are so smart, I’ll let you find them. The report on the Grand Canyon crash that ultimately lead to the establishment of the FAA is really interesting.

My mantra when Lieberman ups me: I am stupid and like to mislead people while Mr. Allen I know everything is my idol and so damn smart he makes Einstein look like an idiot.

Don’t you have a watch? or a cell phone? It’s none of my business, but what do you do for work?

I’m a data analyst for a major health care organization.

It’s not really WHAT Allen says but HOW he says it. Yes, it was good he expanded on what I said about accident/incident reports. They way he said was like “David, as usual, is incorrect (or partially correct) and here’s the full explanation. Don’t listen to David. He won’t tell you the full story. However, because I’m a retired government employee with time on my hands, I can give you the full story while at the same time making David look like an idiot.”

Had he not prefaced his statement, in bold, capital letters to make sure no one missed it, I wouldn’t have said anything. He has the tact of a bull elephant in an antique shop.

Not Kaiser by any chance? I always thought it was downright amazing that they have spent $2 Billion (and counting) on their electronic medical record and still don’t have it working right.

So I found another FAA site where it shows incident reports. The Accident / Incident Database System (AIDS) Talk about your unfortunate acroymns. They must have chosen this one back in the 60’s.

asias.faa.gov/portal/page?_p … ema=PORTAL

It doesn’t have January’s data yet, but I’m hopeful it will get posted soon (December’s data was posted on Jan 23).

Thanks again for the discussion and helpful information.

Yes, Kaiser. Great place to work.