AA Flight 31 Emergency Landing at LAX

flightaware.com/live/flight/AAL31

I guess there was smoke in the cockpit. Being reported by CNN among others. Apparently you were able to catch a view of the Emirates A380 landing after the brief emergency delay.

I remember reading something about an AA 757 pilot who didn’t think those planes were perfectly safe because of the frequent occurences of smoke in the cockpit. I think it had something to do with the windshield too, you guys remember… I just found it…

cnn.com/2008/US/04/02/cockpi … index.html

Smoke (or smell ?) was in the cabin according to avherald.com/h?article=40ab8897&opt=0

Coffee pot again ?

flightaware.com/live/flight/AAL3 … /KLAX/KLAX

Just putting the correct dated link in the discussion for posterity.

0031/05 N5FB LAX-HNL RTND LAX ACCT SMOKE IN CKPT/CBN.
EMGCY DCLRD. LNDD OVRWT. CBN O2 MASKS DPLYD. PSGRS
EVAC VIA SLIDES AND AIRSTAIRS ON RWY AND BUSSED TO
REMOTE TRMNL. 9 PSGRS RPTD MINOR CUTS/BRUISES.
ACFT OTS. FLT CHEQ/RECREWED/RDPTD.

latimes.com/news/local/la-me … ?track=rss

From the Los Angeles Times
FAA to review failure of oxygen masks on American flight at LAX
The agency is reviewing why passenger masks failed either to deploy or to deliver oxygen. The American Airlines Boeing 757 was forced to make an emergency landing after smoke appeared in the cabin.
By Dan Weikel
Los Angeles Times Staff Writer

12:24 PM PDT, August 11, 2008

The Federal Aviation Administration is reviewing the widespread failure of passenger oxygen masks aboard an American Airlines flight that made an emergency landing last week at Los Angeles International Airport.

Initial reports indicate that almost half the masks either did not deploy or failed to provide oxygen once passengers pulled the pin to activate the flow of air.

American Flight 31, a Honolulu-bound Boeing 757, had taken off from LAX last Tuesday morning but turned back about an hour into the trip when the pilot reported smoke in the cabin, airport officials said.

The plane’s 188 passengers and seven crew members evacuated by sliding down emergency chutes. Eight people sustained minor injuries. The incident also caused airport officials to temporarily close both of the busy airport’s south runways.

American Airlines officials said the incident was caused by oil spilled on a compressor in one of the jet’s engines. This caused a strong smell and a haze in the cabin, they said.

The FAA has been concerned about oxygen mask failures aboard certain types of commercial aircraft, including Boeing 757s and 737s. In May 2007, the agency issued an air-worthiness directive ordering airlines to correct oxygen mask problems by 2012.

dan.weikel@latimes.com

Why would you need masks if you were never above 10000?

The 02 generators also have pressure switches I would imagine - so they they would not operate and generate heat when they are not needed . …

If there is smoke in the cabin, one has to assume that it is of a toxic nature and should not be breathed. The concentrated oxygen is better for the immediate responsiveness of the passengers as well as their long term health and well-being

Before asking questions you need to first ascertain the design conditions of the O2 generators on board a commercial airliner and when they are intended to be used - which will answer your question. Google is your friend.

and…

Are you chiding yourself? Certainly appears to be the case. :slight_smile:

yeah, I’m chiding myself . . . wanna buy a bridge? :wink:

How many lanes and does it go anywhere? :laughing:

When an AA flight made an emergency landing due to a cracked windshield( I made a post about it) The first officer was rather eager to criticize AA’s maintenance…

Damn. Those a-holes here in Tulsa are slacking! I know a couple of mechanics for AA and I’ll go kick them in the nads. They owe me beer anyway. :smiley: