Converting a Pi4 system over to a Pi5

How does one start this process and what are the steps?

Refer to “suggested” below your posting. Bookworm is the key to the Pi5.

1 Like

When I switched from RPi4 to RPi5, I simply removed the mSD from the RPi4 and inserted it into the RPi5. The RPI5 booted without any changes whatsoever. The RPi4 was already running Bookworm which is required for the RPI5.

2 Likes

I wish I had RPi 5, but as I dont have any other use for Pi exceptit ADS-B hobby, I dont want to waste so much money for it (Pi5 board + Pi5 Power Supply + Fan + Case).

For ADS-B I successfully use H96 Max android 11 TV box + Power Supply Unit + Free Shipping for $30. It has builtin 64 GB emmc flash drive and 8 GB ram. I had to simply rewrite its builtin emmc flash with 64-bit Armbian Bookworm OS, and installation of feeders was as simple as on RPi.

3 Likes

I only purchased the RPi5 and POE+ hat. The hat provides power and a fan. Instead of a case I string the units together using brass spacers that cost pennies. They become a standalone rack.
BrassSpacer

1 Like

How much all these cost (including shipping)?

:+1: :+1: :+1:
This is good innovation, and cost-effective as well.

The RPi 5 w/4GB cost $70 and the POE hat was $21. Shipping varies depending on method and destination. IIRC shipping was less than $10 to Florida. WaveShare

This rack, my first, has a mixture of RPi 3b, 3b+, 4 and 5. The dividers are 3d printed black plastic. My next rack will skip the dividers because all the boards will be the same - RPi 5.

2 Likes

:+1: :+1: :+1:

This is brilliant

1 Like