WWW254 LAS-TNX?

I did a search on WWW and nothing came up so I figure I give it a shot…

It seems like they have daily 20 minutes flight to “Tonopah Test Range” with no ATC history and/or tracks. I wonder if this is one of the Dreamland flights.

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/WWW254/history/20090814/2315Z/KTNX/KLAS

I could tell you, but then I’d have to kill you (humor)

It pretty much isn’t, however it is for the government. Dreamland/Area 51 is pretty much public now, as they’ve designated the airport KTXA and named it “Homey Airport”. This is pretty much just a set of ferry flights up to the test KTNX for various bits of work. The Nevada Test site had some things going on up there, but other than that, there isn’t much going on up there that isn’t USAF related. Apparently, it’s Silverbow, according to the remarks.

BL.

[quote=“deef1999”]

It’s OK, you can tell that to my secretary :slight_smile:

I did a quick google search and little did I know I found a page about the airport on wikipedia.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tonopah_Test_Range_Airport

Now try Googling “JANET flights”.

Don’t we have an EG&G pilot here somewhere? :wink:

[quote=“tyketto”]

If you look at a Google Map of the airport, you can see 2 Janet 737 parked on the ramp, along with a Beech 1900 or maybe a 200. Can’t get close enough to tell.

TNX shows a single 737 on the ramp, but LAS shows 5 737s and 2 1900Ds on the “Janet” ramp. Interesting note about TNX, if you look just east of the parallel taxiway, you’ll see a double fence line that parallels the taxiway. Each taxiway spur has gates that block access into the inner secured area, specifically the hangers, operations buildings, etc… The Janet terminal at TNX is outside the inner perimeter, since pax are going to have to undergo security checks at their work location anyway.

Just because the locations aren’t a secret anymore by no means diminishes the fact that what goes on at these facilities is extremely sensitive and very closely guarded from prying eyes.

Never said they weren’t. :wink:

Just that they are slowly ending their ‘plausible deniability’ schtick and actually gave an ICAO code to an airport that ‘doesn’t exist’.

Anywho, as far as KTNX goes, the Test Range is definitely USAF owned and used by the DOE.

BL.

What I meant was the airport at Groomlake, the one with a 25K foot runway, not the Tonopah airport.

There’s no runway there…Its just some ancient native markings, like the Nazca lines. :wink:

BTW, that’s a Kingair 200 or C-12, not a 1900.

I thought the Nazca Lines were supposed to have been made by UFO’s or aliens or something? Does that mean… :open_mouth:

Nice avatar by the way. 8)