WIFI on PI 2

Just tried to boot flightaware to install USB WIFI. After a Syntax warning, all I get is a desktop with a big Raspberry and a trash can in the upper left corner. I don’t know where to go from here. Anyone have a suggestion? Thanks

In my experience the RPi has problems supplying power to USB devices. Try using a powered USB hub and install the dongle and wifi adapter in it.

Just reloaded the sd card and everything seems to be OK

I haven’t had any issues using all four USB ports using a 5V 1500mA power supply, though I did have to dump a few USB cables from the power supply to the Pi 2 and used my USB cable from my phone but it didn’t like the 5V 2000mA power supply for my phone (mustn’t be stable enough).

I’m thinking about using something like one of these to run the Pi

amazon.co.uk/RAVPower-6000mA … B00Q3UOYS0

connect the power supply to the battery, run the Pi off the battery … should smooth out supply bumps and also act a bit like a UPS.

My experience with those is they can’t charge and provide power at the same time. Also, they tend to default to off until a button is pressed.

My standard for running a Raspberry Pi–

https://www.pololu.com/product/2574 Pololu 5V step-up / step-down voltage regulator

Your input can go from 3 to 30 Volts and you get +5 out. For input voltages in the range of 4.5 to 15 Volts or so, you get a clean, well regulated 5 Volts at up to 2 Amps. That eliminates problems from cheezy USB cables (which you shouldn’t use in the first place), protects against spikes and other nonsense, and the Enable pin gives you a convenient power switch (or hard-core reboot).

Yes, they’re $15 each, but put one with your Raspberry Pi and you won’t have power problems.

bob k6rtm