What is the Maximum Range I can Get?

Not that I wildly dislike the SKyView, just for me the range plots were hugely useful in seeing the impact of changes made to the antenna etc etc.

For me, “how far can I see” is one of the main reasons for running this - seeing the range plot polygon expand was what kept me going! :wink:

This was such a useful feature, Im surprised fA havent implimented it themselves.
Is Lignumaqua still around?

A spurious pick up a fair way out past my usual range. The rings are at 100km intervals, I wish virtual radar would let me add more.

dropbox.com/s/8axhshyhyezvp … e.bmp?dl=0

9 VRS Rings x 100 kms = 900 kms = 486 nautical miles, wow!

1 Like

I have raised this issue to FA sometimes ago, and the reply is promising, but we have to wait for some time:

*“We have similar ideas for future new features. For right now though our focus is on the Skyview interface. We have a lot more we’d like to do to continue to build out the features for data feeders but we can only go so fast. Please stay tuned for more in the future.” *

1 Like

Thanks abcd567 :slight_smile:

After several years of running adsb I’ve decided to get a FA dongle. You can see from the graphs that it did improve results. Very happy with my purchase.

https://www.kissack.co.uk/public/adsb/newdongle.jpg

1 Like

That’s all about the height there, you have a direct line of sight of more than 310 miles!
calculatoredge.com/electroni … fsight.htm

My antenna is only on top of my garage. I hate you :laughing:

That’s NOT all about the height. The contribution of height of RECEIVING antenna is much less than the contribution of height of the plane.
A plane at 40000 feet, contributes 283 miles to line of sight.
A receiving antenna at 15 feet height (garage roof) contributes 5 miles
A receiving antenna at 390 feet height (39th floor) contributes 28 miles.

With antenna above garage (15 ft above ground), the line of sight = contribution of RECEIVING antenna + contribution of plane = 28 + 283 = 311 miles
With antenna at 39th floor (390 ft above ground), the line of sight = contribution of RECEIVING antenna + contribution of plane = 5 + 283 = 288 miles

Improvement going from Garage roof to 39th floor = 311 - 288 = 23 miles

https://s20.postimg.org/45eet8ed9/Line_of_sight_390_feet_antenna_height.png.https://s20.postimg.org/ts5608ssd/Line_of_sight_15_feet_antenna_height.png

If the antenna is surrounded by tall houses/buildings or trees, which block its view of horizon, then raising antenna above the height of these obstruction does improve message count and range. Once antenna is above these obstructions, any further increase in height brings in very little improvement.

1 Like

Well yes and no… To me it is important if you have buildings (houses) around you. The further the plane is, lower to the horizon it will be. That means that my line of sight cannot reach the theoretical LOS because it will have objects in the way.
If you are at the 39th floor, probably not too many tall buildings are around you. Or at least that’s what I think.

An object, even if smaller height than the antennas, if is situated between them can block the LOS. Imagine one in the middle of this figure:

As my house antenna is only at 2 feet above roof, a house at 1 block away might block me - when plane is towards the extreme of my range.

1 Like

Hi to all,
I saw that video on YouTube with that time-lapse and I liked it very much, so I found this thread and read all all 18 pages to see that it is not possible to implement all those fancy things because I use v1.15~dev and OpenStreetMap.
Is there any way that I can implement that advanced features, is there another thread or so?

I want to experiment with LNA-s and antennas and also to see what is best setup (pro stick plus vs. V3 and what are differences based on type of hardware that I use (C.H.I.P, RPi 2 - 3 and ODRIOD)
Many thanks to all in advance.

This is absolutely true and it is made worse by the Fresnel Zone.
An object does not even need to be in the LOS to interfere with the signal.
So the more height you can get, the better.

Overnight I had a ping at 200+nm recorded. Any way for me to look and see what/where it was? I just see it on the coverage graph on my stats page. I’m assuming atmospheric skip or a fluke because I’ve only tagged a handful in the 120-160 range and nothing over 160nm. Bone stock setup, antenna peaking through a roof vent in my attic, but still only about 20’ elevation.

• had another, different direction, middle of the day but I missed it.

I got 2 hits recorded at 250+ Miles
everything else is at 150 miles or less

thats my temporary setup with a RPi 3b, DVB dongle (zero filtering), ~30’ coax to a ground plane antenna on my roof.

I have the FA dongle with filter coming and I plan on making the coax run about 10 ft,. My swag is an improvement of +3 dB for signal,
that should be a boost to my reporting capabilities.

UPDATE

I got the blue FA dongle today, and installed it. I just shutdown and replaced the dongle and reboot… thats it.

aircraft in the 100-200 range are now “normal” and a few are showing in the 200-250 range

it’s like a whole new world! 8)

1 Like

Thanks for this - I’m new to this and would like to see the graphs for my setup. How do I do this? My range is way below what I expected.

1 Like

Install “Web Portal” from here:
ads-b-flight-tracking-f21/ads-b-receiver-project-setup-scripts-t36532.html

Hello
It has been a while since the heat marks do not work. The Toggle Heatmap option on the map does not leave the layer, it could be
regards

Same on my radar … tried already several aproaches, however without any positive result.
It’s aptitude, as this was a great feature.

The Heat map of @lignumaqua stopped working since map was changed from Google to Open Street.

If someone wants Heat Map, he has to install an older version of dump1090-mutability v1.15~dev which has Google map.

Step-By-Step Method for Installing June 8, 2016 version of dump1090-mutability v1.15~dev (The last version which had Google Map).

$ sudo apt-get update
$ sudo apt-get install librtlsdr-dev libusb-1.0-0-dev pkg-config debhelper
$ sudo apt-get install lighttpd 

$ sudo apt-get install git
$ git clone https://github.com/mutability/dump1090.git
$ cd dump1090

$ git reset --hard dfe3d7af12
HEAD is now at dfe3d7a Merge pull request #126 from rxseger/osx

$ sudo dpkg-buildpackage -b

$ cd ../
$ sudo dpkg --install dump1090-mutability_1.15~dev_armhf.deb
$ sudo lighty-enable-mod dump1090
$ sudo /etc/init.d/lighttpd force-reload

$ sudo dpkg-reconfigure dump1090-mutability
$ sudo systemctl restart dump1090-mutability
$ sudo reboot

1 Like

thanks a lot for your feedback @abcd567

just to make sure, you wanna say if i will use your install method above and the files form @lignumaqua the heatmap feature is back.
what makes me wondering, as i had the system up and running with heatmap under google_maps until ~1/2 a year ago. not aware of any changed to the system.

b.t.w. the google_maps issue i was able to solve by

a)
following artikel and generating my own google_api:

b)
in gmaps.html - you have to modify the lin, including your own api_key:

<script type= "text/javascript" src="//maps.googleapis.com/maps/api/js?key=<...your google api_key ...>&sensor=false&libraries=geometry,visualization></script></blockquote>

I cannot explain what’s happening here, a Dutch guy receives ads-b messages from eastern Europe that are over 500-600nmi away though the view is completely obscured to the East!
http://62.251.100.171:1090/