What is the Maximum Range I can Get?

That’s insane, 1215.3km, 755 miles.

1 Like

I still have difficulties believing these are actual decodes. Could they be caused by a software glitch, that continued to plot the estimated position of the plane, after no actual messages were received?

The sky view map will show dashed or complete lines between messages. If sequential messages were received longer than 10 seconds apart the connecting line will be dashed. If a sequential message was received less than 10 seconds apart the connecting line will be completely filled in.

You can see that the neilc1962’s contact has a lot of dashes but also has quite a few sections that are solid.
This is a legit contact and not a small signal decoding problem or a one off decode.

The “all” button at the top of the sky view map will show all the tracks for all the planes. This is a good indicator of where someone has spotty coverage.

The map posted by @neilc1962 appears to be neither dump1090-fa, nor dump1090-mutability. The table on right appears to be either dump mut or mr, but plane colors red and green are something different from both.

@neilc1962: What is it?

It looks like a much older version of dump1090 (around the early 2016 version)
Planes back there were color based on receiver type. So green is ADSB and MLAT red?

Map is missing:
The extended mode-S information.
The color of track is based on the altitude of the plane instead of black.
The plane icon will change depending on the type of plane. So you will see icons like helicopter, 2 engine , 4 engine , etc
Weather overlays
A few more changes.

Current it looks like the picture on the MLAT page.

I’ve witnessed yet another record breaking flight and made a screenshot before the signal was completely lost.
Once over 300nm, the signal drops to an RSSI of -45 to -49dBFS but doesn’t get any weaker for another 400nm!What makes it even more difficult to understand is that these longe distance reports are coming from the east where the reception is almost completely blocked. Another remarkable fact is that these long flights are always outgoing, never incoming!

1 Like

It’s not actually my site but it looks like version 1.14 of dump1090. I’d clicked on the link to http://62.251.100.171:1090/ provided by alleyoopie in the post above mine. Checking the playback on flightaware shows that the flight was actually there at the time I posted so it doesn’t seem to be an estimated thing either.

Yes, it is dump1090-mutability v1.14

That is an amazing low noise floor. The Signal strength is at -49dB RSSI and the noise floor is probably a dB or so lower than that. I would say that signal is in the -110dBm power level.

The noise floor is based on the area and how much interference is around.

Plus the noise of the electronics.
You will be lucky to see around -38dB RSSI signals before they are lost in the noise of most major cities.

The other problem is that the signal must be changing direction. The direct line-of-sight maxes around 400km. Anything more than that and the signal needs to bend or bounce off something. Usually when i see far off contacts they have a lot of dash lines in the track.

Reflections from buildings in my case is very obvious.

My post from Aug 2015:

https://forum.flightradar24.com/threads/3831-best-antenna?p=69310&viewfull=1#post69310

I have been watching mine for a while and looks like the maximum range for my location is 316 Imperial Miles. My horizon almost all the way around is on the water.

Большой! Благодарю.
Вы облегчили жизнь noobs с небольшим знанием кодирования HTML / javascript / Linux.

1 Like

The curvature of the earth determins your total range also aircraft height could be up to 250 miles give or take

I am using dump1090-fa but could not get the color of the outer and inner ring? http://rodyeo.dyndns.org/dump1090-fa

That’s very high
(about where ISS is)

1 Like

almost two years old reply and nobody identified the typo :slight_smile:

1 Like

The lack of two commas completely changes the meaning of a sentence.

1 Like

Over the last couple of days I’ve done some experimenting with the heywhatsup range plot and my receiver. I wanted to see how accurate it appeared to be and it’s now pretty good after I’ve adjusted it. I used to have it set for FL350 and with a refraction index of 0.25 but I’ve changed those.

The final commands I used was this:

sudo wget -O /usr/local/share/tar1090/html/upintheair.json 'http://www.heywhatsthat.com/api/upintheair.json?id=xxxxxxxx&refraction=0.20&alts=12192'

Replace xxxxxxxx with the code generated in the instructions above. I used 12192m as that’s FL400 (40,000 ft) and the refraction index of 0.20 seemed to give me the most accurate rings.

Here’s the ring with no aircraft.

Here’s what it looks like after around 24 hours of monitoring with Persistence mode enabled on TAR1090.

There are quite a few aircraft shown towards the south east which are outside the circle but when I check, the majority of them are either just below FL400, at FL400 or just above FL400.

Conversely, at the north west side, pretty much everything that’s just inside the ring was at FL380/FL390. Scanning around the ring itself, almost every aircraft on the ring was at FL400.

I could make further tweaks but I think this is a pretty good representation. It shows how accurate the maximum range rings can be.

It’s also worth noting that I before I made these tweaks, I used to have a 250nm range ring on my map but I’ve turned it now as the maximum range circle is at almost exactly 250nm and it doesn’t look very good with the blue range ring and the black circle practically overlapping each other.

2 Likes

Thank you for this! Great tool!

1 Like
2 Likes