USB/ethernet extender for radio

I got a new extender (same model), but I am getting the same result, so obviously it rules out any hardware defects. My latest suspicion is that the Prostick plus may be drawing too much current for the IOgear extender. The extender’s spec says it can supply up to 500mA to the USB device, and the Prostick plus says it draws 300mA. Ideally that should be fine, but I am wondering if the actual draw is either too high, or the extender is not supplying 500mA. The DC power supply for the extender can handle up to 2A, but the 500mA seems to be due to some internal limit. I can’t measure the current draw without cutting into the USB line.

I’d suggest the extension over network screws up the latency. That means the driver asks the stick something but the stick takes too long to reply. The driver then has a timeout error.
(I’m reasonably certain that -4 error is exactly the timeout error but i didn’t find the source code to confirm this.)

Just don’t try to use this kind of extender you’ve proven it does not work.

I’m gonna ask again: what stops you from putting the Rpi where you are trying to put the stick?

There are relatively cheap usb measuring devices that have usb connectors so they can be inserted between device and cable.

Or sacrifice a small usb pigtail?

The Prostick Plus works in the USB port of the Pi, that is well known that can’t support more than 500mA.
So Prostick Plus is not the issue.

My guess is that the 2A power supply is the culprit. I have purchased, and junked, 2 or 3 so called 2.5 A that were not.

Look for a power supply from another device to test. Ensure it’s a switching power supply, of the same voltage and polarity.

1 Like

I plan to put the antenna on the roof, about 75 ft linear run from the IT closet. To reduce cable loss, my plan was to leave the radio connected directly to the antenna in a small enclosure. I suppose I could also leave the Rpi on the antenna mast, but it would require a larger enclosure but still provide adequate ventilation for cooling. I also need to run a power line 75 ft long (no outlets on roof). Running a 5V line that far could be problematic with high current draws, so my plan was to send 24V, and then step it down to 5V near the antenna. There is also no wifi, so I need to run a network cable. Additionally, if I need physical access to the Rpi, it would require accessing the roof, which is not possible in the winter. Running a long USB extender seemed like the best choice.

I think you’ll soon come to the conclusion that it’s a lot easier to deal with coax cable loss, by bringing the receiver to the RPi, than to deal with USB extenders.

1 Like

So use Power over Ethernet or PoE? It’s exactly what you are looking for.
Put the pi somewhere in the attic where it is accessible and do a 20-30ft coax cable run? The pi is supplied via the Ethernet cable 48V that is then stepped down. Getting a proper 5V supply that is sufficient for the Pi seems to be somewhat hit and miss but there are recommendations in this forum somewhere i believe.

If you really want to go all out use one of the LNAs that is 5V supplied via coax and put that in an enclosure close to the antenna. There are also active antennas that have an LNA builtin but they are somewhat expensive i believe.
With the LNA you could also think about just running the coax all the way losses are acceptable when you have an LNA before the cable run. (For that i would use a double amp one)

Anyway running a USB extension will give you bad MLAT which in the US you will not like because quite a few aircraft don’t have ADS-B (airliners without it are going to be rare in the future though).

:+1: :+1: :+1:
Fully agree with @Dxista.