Ubuntu

What is the best i386 build for Ubuntu and is there step by step instructions somewhere.

What are you trying to accomplish?

Yeah, guess I left that one wide open…

Feeding Flightaware using dump1090.

ADS-B Receiver Project Setup Scripts
To install:

1. dump1090-fa/dump1090umutability,
  2. Flightaware, Planefinder, Flightradar24, and adsbexchange data feeders,
  3. Performance graphs.

ads-b-flight-tracking-f21/ads-b-receiver-project-setup-scripts-t36532.html

Supported Operating Systems
The scripts and packages have been tested on most Debian Jessie based operating systems.
Ubuntu 16.04 LTS has also been tested successfully and is now fully supported.”

If your question is for installing the Ubuntu on i386, here it is:
Ubuntu 16.04.1 LTS (Xenial Xerus)

releases.ubuntu.com/16.04/

32-bit PC (i386) desktop image
For almost all PCs. This includes most machines with Intel/AMD/etc type processors and almost all computers that run Microsoft Windows, as well as newer Apple Macintosh systems based on Intel processors.

I’m actually running Ubuntu now. I’ve had FA running before and actually installed the package from adsbreceiver.net, however, I have some reservations about running it. At one time last year I stumbled upon installing FA on the machine and actually had great success with it vs running on Pi2. Something happened at one point and the hard drive crashed. Now back to square 1 and trying to get everything back to running again with the same results I was having before. I’m not a Linux genius by any means, but I can follow instructions on how to install the package. When it comes to talking about forks and pulls it looses me. And the fact there are several versions of the dump1090, which one is the best bang for the buck so to speak.

I’m not opposed to running the adsbreceiver package, but am opposed to feeding several different places.

Do not go to adsbreceiver.net.
Follow the very easy and simple instructions here (installation by automated scripts):

ads-b-flight-tracking-f21/ads-b-receiver-project-setup-scripts-t36532.html

A) dump1090
The automated script will give you choice for installing one of the following versions of dump1090 without bothering for “pull” or “fork”.

1. dump1090-fa
    OR
  2. dump1090-mutability
    On one Pi, I have installed dump1090-fa, on other Pi I have installed dump1090-mutability. Both are good, but their User Interface on Map page are somewhat different.

B) Data feeder
The automated script do not force you to install all 4 data feeders. You can choose none, or one or more, as you like.

C) Performance Graphs (Web Portal)
This is also optional, and you can say NO if you dont want it, though majority installs it.