TBO

i Actually had a guy try to convince me to buy his A36 with 4500 hrs on it and that the motor would easily go 7000 hrs between overhauls. With that kind of mentality i didnt want to know what else was wrong with the plane and what else he skimpped on!!

When I was with Ameriflight we could extend our TBO of the TIO-520 and LTIO-520 by 700+ hours cause we worked with Teledyne/Cont and the training we received on how to stage cool- 2" every 2min.

But if you look at some accidents where the engiene was pushed beyond TBO there are parts of the engiene that WILL break.
I was quick to answer this without getting my facts straight- like I said i was lazy and didn’t want to read the FAR’s today.
But as Frank pointed out TBO is a recommendation. Kinda stupid to not follow something the manufacturer recommends.

Ummm ever take a look at the list of Recommended Service Bulletins for your Lear?

I don’t think any of us would have jobs if we complied with all of those.

Are you all able to get 200 hour extensions for your hot sections? I know we do, and it saves a few thousand bucks plus minimizes downtime.

Also, if you go through the entire engine log from Overhaul to run out, you might find that the only original part to that engine is the data plate. It’s not unusual for a “major repair” to be performed involving new crank, cam, cylinders, case, etc.

When i was in the Air Force i was an Non Destructive Inspection Technician
and it was not uncommon to see 10,000 hours TSO (time since overhaul) on the PW F-100. Due to intense maintainence and lots of inspections, and lots of replacing parts. In fact every time the F15s fly oil analysis was done to develop wear metal trends and keep on eye on the foreign materials in the oil, and could eventually pinpoint what AND when a part was going bad. It was pretty fun stuff. I really enjoyed my job in the Air Force and got a lot out of it, i actually got to “assist” when we had the main spar in the ciation X-RAYed

DAMN- I hate it when I forget to add one word and this happens.

I was talking Piston- I have looked at the logs for the Lear I fly and to be honest I had no clue what I was looking at.

Our noise makers are on MSP and a Dallas airmotive take care of them. We just had them both off (one at a time with a loaner) last summer. They did all the work in our hanger and it was cool to ask those guys the 1,000,000 questions I asked and they didn’t tell me to fu*k off.

BUT to make myself clear (damn-again) I am talking piston.

msh168 was that you that was in Ft Lauderdale last week?

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

On the piston powered patrol planes I flew (& am back flying again). We overhaulled at recomended TBO and complie w/ all S/Bs.
We ran them past TBO in the past but found that the Overhauls were more expensive that way and it cost us more. A crankshaft that could be renitrited at TBO would need to be replaced at TBO+500, etc.

We run a AAIP w/ engines on a 50hr inspection interval and the airframes on 75, 150, 200. cycle.

The Lears I flew we did nearly all the SB’s. We ran our engines on MSP and when they were due we would have rentals put on in FTW and were down only 1 day per engine.

Did a little digging. Google “AOPA Air Safety Blog, June 17, 2009.” Right on point. Wazzo, I am located KBLM, Central NJ. The 50 hr inspection regime seems like a great idea. I never heard of it either. I too was in the air force but the maintenance was so compartmentalized that I could never get into the big picture on overall philosophy of when and how to take care of the entire bird. Then again, it was a C141, (retired), and there was a lot to inspect/repair.