FlightAware Discussions

System Monitoring

This is for anyone one who might be obsessed with numbers and statistics and looking at their PiAware devices’ performance in real time, with lots of graphs and drill-down, and barely making a dent in the devices’ resources (CPU/memory) - it’s called netdata

This is a deep dive into everything that’s on the Pi except the piaware and dump1090 application data - there are numerous ways to get into that already presented by others in this forum. I find the netdata application to be able to see the guts of the operating system/device metrics in picture and numeric form without having to program anything. Kind of like using an oscilloscope to poke around electronics… Short term, detailed information that doesn’t disturb the device being measured (much).

The installation instruction for a Pi is relatively simple for any Linux host:

bash <(curl -Ss https://my-netdata.io/kickstart.sh)

The link to the installation details is:

If one is comfortable with the command line and logging into a Pi, it is reasonably simple to install and get running, and ‘just works’ without a huge performance penalty on my Pi 3B (not +!):

One can spend a lot of time staring at the details!
My PiAware system overview looks like this (there is a LOT more detail) -

Check out the live demo sites for lots of pretty graphs…

not obsessed but fascinated by graphical representations, charts, maps etc. computer art :wink:
thanks for the post. what I find interesting is https://github.com/firehol/netdata/wiki/External-Plugins
which provides opportunities to make direct, own/customized stats (if computer literate :wink: )
even for apps that do not provide stats, say, Dump1090 by Malcolm Robb.

Add some nice system monitoring with rpimonitor using simple ‘iframe’ tag in dump1090 web page.
Also added ‘feeders’ running service into it.

its for learning purpose only though.

Dear Jepolch,

Hi! I could not find the link to the web_install.sh script file since raspi.ayadex.com no longer exist. Do you still have the raw file of the web_install.sh ? I want to install the ADS-B Performance Monitor into my existing ADS-B feeder @ rodyeo.dyndns.org

Thanks.

Rodney

The graphs you are after come with Joe Prochazka’s dump1090-mutability.

for an easy setup follow the steps at
this by user @abcd567

HTH

Thanks for posting the FR24 forum link, but it is for installing dump1090-mutability ver 1.15~dev.

The link for Performance Graph installation is:
Automated Installation of Dump1090-Mutability, Data Feeders, and Performance Graphs.

Ok. I decided to use ADSB Receiver Project git clone method and it worked! Thanks.

Initially Ayadex has started Performance Graphs project, but after a while he stopped its further development. Then Joe Prochazka started “ADS-B Receiver Project” which included not only Performance Graphs, but optional items for installation of decoders and feeders as well.

If you want only performance graphs, run Joe’s script, say NO to all options, till you see option for “Web Portal”. Say OK to it and it will be installed. The “Web Portal” is actually the performance graphs & monitors you want to install.

EDIT:
While I was typing, you posted that you already installed it :slight_smile:

Yes… this is the best option and it worked… thanks alot… http://rodyeo.dyndns.org/

Ok. Nice… will do that… raspimonitor… thanks…

you know I was sure was on this site too. checked your ‘tweaks’ but could not find it.
I am sure I 've seen it here somewhere… (last year before he forum change maybe ?)
can’t use easily the current ‘search feature’.

The “Performance Graphs” was never posted by me in FlightAware forums as J Prochazka’s “ADSB Receiver Project” thread is already in place here.

I think you got it mixed up with the manual install of dump1090-mutability ver 1.15~dev which I have posted in this forum. This is not in Tweaks thread. It is in thread Bake a Pi >> OPTION-3.

However I have posted Joe Prochazka’s script in FlightRadar24 and PlaneFinder forums so that members there can also benefit from Joe Prochazka’s work.

yes ! bake-a-pi that’s what I had in mind…:smile:

I’m wondering why i’m receiving so many messages per plane (at least at night):dump1090-localhost-aircraft_message_rate-24h

I guess when it’s busier the stronger message win out so less messages/s per plane on average?

Not unusal, I guess. It is the same here.

Edit: Here meaning Germany, relatively close to an international airport, EDDL.

How about this one?

Definitely different. :grin:

I guess it depends, apart from other things, on how close you are to an airport and which restrictions are put on nightime flights.

Toronto hasn’t that many international flight crossing over top does it huh? :slight_smile:

Also seems aircraft send fewer messages. I guess it’s all the extra crap interrogation with extended squitter and the like going on.

Pi 1 - Mag-mount antenna over cookie can + FA Filter + Pro Stick Plus

Pi 2 - Flightaware antenna + FA Filter + Pro Stick

PI 3 - Mag-mount antenna over metallic window sill + generic DVB-T

ADS-B extended squitter itself has a specification-mandated limit of 6.2 messages/second/aircraft (and typically is less than that). The rest will be Mode S responses, acquisition squitter, and TCAS. Europe has an extremely high SSR interrogation rate which probably explains the difference.