System Monitoring

Ive installed system monitoring using JP’s script on dump1090-mutability v 1.15 on stretch. However, 4 of the graphs don’t show up. On clicking the graph’s name I am sent to a “not found” page. The graphs I am missing are: Message Rate (trailing), Signal Level, Message Rate and Aircraft Message Rate. What could I be missing? Dump1090 is running in net-only mode.

(1) Give this command

sudo ~/adsb-receiver/build/portal/graphs/make-collectd-graphs.sh 24h  

(2) Open graphs page, clear browser cache (Ctrl+Shift+Delete), then Reload (Ctrl+F5)

(Ctrl+F5 reminds me @Dxista :slight_smile: )

@abcd567
Ran this…no luck. Got 4 errors:

The -10 and now the CTRL+F5 guy.:joy:

Another valid reason is my setup: My Antennas are inside my apartment. Their view is blocked by my own building as well as adjuscent high-rise building. This gives me hardly 200 degree view out of 360 degrees. Even within this 200 degrees, there are large number of high rise buildings all around at some distance. It is natural that I pick up much less plane and messages than it could have picked up if my antenna was installed on building roof with a 360 degree clear view.

The building management refuses to allow residents to install anything on roof top, or popping out of window, saying it will make building look ugly. At the same time they have allowed several cell/mobile phone companies to install their antennas and equipment at roof, forgetting their own lame excuse " it will make building look ugly" … money, money money.

1 Like

CORRECTION
The -10, CTRL+F5 and now the RG6 guy.:wink:

1 Like

Try the command again after Rebooting the Pi.
With hard to debug problems, rebooting works most of the time :wink:

Thanks @abcd567, this did not work too. Could it be because dump1090 is running in --net-only mode?

I was about to say money, when I reached the end of the paragraph. Remember the old saying: money talks. Unfortunately for you and me, all it says is: bye bye @abcd567 and bye bye @Dxista. :smirk:

1 Like

Good to see somebody is keeping track. :rofl:

@dimdra
May be due to --net-only OR may be due to a broken install.
Test by runnig dump1090 in normal mode (i.e. remove --net-only and use a DVB-T Dongle), and see if your graphs start showing. If the graphs dont show in normal mode as well, then it is a broken install.

@dimdra
That is to be expected. No need to switch off net-only for testing.
You have no local messages therefore they are not included in the stats and no database with the values is made.

Looking at the makegraphs.sh script i believe there was once intended to make your problem a feature. But it’s not complete as far as i can see.

I have an alternative though to get at least the remote message rate plotted (signal graphs make no sense as you have no signal information, it is not transferred in the beast protocol)

# In the file
~/adsb-receiver/build/portal/graphs/make-collectd-graphs.sh

# you need to replace all occurences of remote_accepted with local_accepted
# to do this you need to to the following

cd ~/adsb-receiver/build/portal/graphs/
sed -i -e 's/local_accepted/remote_accepted/g' make-collectd-graphs.sh

# Now run the command @abcd567 made you run already again :)
sudo ~/adsb-receiver/build/portal/graphs/make-collectd-graphs.sh 24h  

#if you want to restore the original file for whatever reason run the following
git checkout make-collectd-graphs.sh

This should give you the normal graphs with remote instead of local messages except the signal graph which is impossible.

No guarantees but let me hear if it works :wink:

Thank you @wiedehopf and @abcd567.

@wiedehopf
After I ran the commands above , I have one additional graph: Aircraft message rate aka ADS-B message rate/aircraft. Still missing are Message Rate (trailing), Signal Level and Message Rate.

Will the AVR format carry the signal information?

None of the network data formats carry the detailed signal info used in these graphs - at best they carry only the per-message RSSI.

Are you using the dump1090 to aggregate multiple receivers or is it just a “mirror” to have the nice graphs?

In that case i can help you point the stats portion at the original dump1090 instance and it will get the data from that webserver.
I’ll have to think about why the Message Rate (trailing) is not working

Can you post the output of the graph making command again?
Nvm i see the problem will post solution soon :wink:

And some more sed action no eradicate the offending portions of the script that make it not work:

sed -i '/strong_sig/d' make-collectd-graphs.sh
sed -i '/y2strong/d' make-collectd-graphs.sh

Have fun.

Ideally, I wanted dump1090 to aggregate AND report stats. Since I could not figure how to do that (tried with dump1090-fa and dump1090-mutability), I used mosesmixer2 on the pi to aggregate and output. dump1090 is receiving this stream to display data and simultaneously JP’s add-ons display the stats. Going a step further, I have, with partial success, reskinned dump1090-mutability with FA’s Skyview from v3.6.3.

Here is the screengrab of the graph making command:

No need for the screenshot i already posted the fix above.

You could hack it so that the signal graph from one of your feeders is displayed would that work for you?

PERFECT! This did the trick. Thanks a lot @wiedehopf ! Now the only thing remains is to get the color back on the planes in Skyview that I overlay on the dump1090-mutability’s stock GUI.

Actually, yes that would be useful and I can then create graphs for all my receivers.