Spektrum

Hi alAsking for a little help on this
dietpi 64 installed pi4 airspy spektrum64 all went well till i fired it up failed
only read along to what i needed then after it failed
i then carried on reading haha
found its 64bit but amd hmmmm
as im nearly sorrted is there any fix extra software to make it work without starting over ?
Screenshot_428

SPEKTRUM ON WINDOWS PC, DONGLE ON RPI

STEP-1: Install Spektrum on Windows PC
Download latest version from here:

https://github.com/pavels/spektrum/releases

STEP-2: Install VirtualHere Server on Raspberry Pi / Piaware

sudo apt install curl  

curl https://raw.githubusercontent.com/virtualhere/script/main/install_server | sudo sh  

lnstall and Uninstall scripts on Github:
https://github.com/virtualhere/script

STEP-3: Install VirtualHere Client on Windows Computer:

Direct download (current version):
VirtualHere Client for Windows (64-Bit Win10/Win11/Server 2016/19/22)

Check download page for latest version: https://www.virtualhere.com/usb_client_software

1 Like

@abcd567
I’d try it but Spektrum’s displays are not readable on a high dpi display such as on my 4k notebook with ~380 dpi. Scaling is already at max. Do you know of a workaround to increase the Spektrum font size?

On some of the internet browsers, hold down the control key and roll the mouse wheel up and down to change the size. I am not a user of Spektrum, but it might work for you.

Not sure how much development is being done on this project. There is a pull request languishing to do exactly this - increase the font size. It simply involves modifying the font size value in multiple locations in the spektrum.pde file in the source directory. You could edit the file yourself I suppose to get the desired effect. Here are details on the requested change:

Hi m8
I got round to testing this out on few dongles this is so far my best result
i couldn’t test with airspy just wouldn’t see it in spektrum grrr
this is my standby pi4 will let it run see how it pans out from my airspy mini

AS mini i tried usb zadzig driver on windows no luck any ideas why
thanks
john

1 Like

Hello. I’m trying to measure. I think I downloaded all the necessary stuff. The tuner that is connected to the Raspberry detects normally. but when I try to connect to it, it gives an error. What could be the cause? How to eliminate it?

WinHUB

spectrum

Have you installed rtlsdr driver “zadig” on your Windows computer/tablet?

https://zadig.akeo.ie/

1 Like

Of course. On this computer I use RTL-SDR tuner.
On Raspberry, do I have to stop all services?

Yes you have to stop service, but only only that service which is using the dongle which you want to test on Spektrum.

For example I wanted to use dongle being used by dump1090-fa.
Stopping dump1090-fa should be sufficient. However since piaware is using data from dump1090-fa, and if it finds dump1090-fa is not outputting data at port 30005, it tries to restart dump1090-fa. Therefore I had to stop piaware also.

1 Like

Unfortunately, it didn’t help.
Same error.

Are you sure you stopped correct service?
To make sure run following commands, and post output of 2nd command.

sudo apt install rtl-sdr

rtl_test -t   

1 Like

Failed to open rtlsdr device #0

Something is using the dongle. Are you using dump1090-fa or readsb? Give command to stop both if you are not sure, then test again.

sudo systemctl stop piaware dump1090-fa readsb 

rtl_test -t

If you still get
Failed to open rtlsdr device #0
then possibly dump978-fa is running. Stop it also.

apt-cache policy readsb ; grep Installed

But I still get the same error…

On the Plane Finder, Skyaware, ADSBExchange, maps I have blank, but on the Radarbox map I can see the aircraft plotted using MLAT. According to adsb.fi, I’m also online.

What is the output from the following?
pgrep -fa rtl
This should show what process is using the rtl dongle.

Possibly the built-in dump1090-rb of the Radarbox24’s rbfeeder is using the dongle. Stop both dump1090-fa and rbfeeder and and see if the dongle is accessable

sudo systemctl stop piaware dump1090-fa rbfeeder  

Please post output of following commands:

grep network_mode /etc/rbfeeder.ini   

pgrep -af rtl   

sudo systemctl start virtualhere

@chemitox
@LawrenceHill

OK, the network_mode=true confirms Radarbox24’s dump1090-rb is not activated.

After you stopped dump1090-fa, the no-output of command pgrep -fa rtl confirms nothing is using the dongle.

Also the rtl_test -t has shown a healthy dongle.

In view of above, the only suspect I can think of is your firewall, which is preventing dongle to be opened by the Spektrum.

I have very little knowkedge and experiance about configuring firewalls. May be some other forum member has better experience on firewalls and can give you some advise.

The virtualhere uses port 7575. If that port is blocked by firewall or router, try to unblock it.

To change default port 7575 to another port (for example 8989):
CAUTION: Do NOT try this on trial version. Following attempt first changes port number, then gives warning “licence expired”, then uninstalls virtualhere from RPi, leaving file config.ini. I had to first delete config.ini, then run the install script to reinstall virtualhere Server on RPi. Back to default port :frowning:

(1) Stop virtualhere Client on Windows

(2) Stop virtualhere Server on Linux computer (RPi)

sudo systemctl stop virtual here  

(3) Open file config.ini by following command

sudo nano /usr/local/etc/virtualhere/config.ini

(4) Add following line in above file, save and close file

TCPPort=8989 

(5) restart virtualhere Server on Linux (RPi)

sudo systemctl restart virtualhere   

(6) Restart virtual here Client on Windows

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.