Several questions...

from a non-professional traveler, who only flies occasionally.

Last November I flew CO EWR-LAS and back (am doing it again this NOv also!). I enjoyed it a lot, but have a couple of comments and questions:

1. When I initially booked last August, the equipment listed for both directions was a 738 ( I believe). About two weeks later, I received notification that the equipment was now a 752 outbound, and a 753 returning and had to select my seats again. THIS year, I had to wait a bit to book, but had been scoping out the fare, and it looks like the exact same thing happened, so when I just booked it was the exact same thing! Is this normal?

2. As far as seat selection is concerned,I have about the same seats in coach - 24F going out, and 14A returning (on the redeye Thanksgiving night). 14A is an interesting seat - on the seat selector, the rows in front of the wing are all blue colored as ‘premium’ seats --all except 14AB(and 15EF)…and, which according to
    the wonderful http://www.seatguru.com, is just a good a seat as the ‘premium’ seats. I had the same exact seat on the redeye last year, and it was very comfortable…Why do they do that?

3. I have a theory that just about ANY crew going to LAS is going to be relatively pleasant - I mean, they get to spend time in Las Vegas! I do give credit to the outbound crew- they were very concerned about the people being well watered before hitting the desert…well that…and it means less to count up for inventory! But the FA’s were pleasant without being sugary, did their jobs, and plus we got Cheerios for breakfast! Coming back, they were very unobtrusive after the initial snack/soda run, and the one FA was very helpful after I had zonked out with a can of 7UP in my hand and had spilled some on my blanket -quickly replacing it with a dry one! (also lucked out both directions as the middle seat was empty both ways - double pillows on the redeye!!!) My only problem was that they kept the damn video going all darn night - King of Queens after 3 am is NO fun to watch w/o sound!

CO is fine by me - Ill let you know after THIS trip!
:wink:

1. Airlines often change the equipment for a given flight based upon the time of year. Using your example, there’s probably more demand for people going to LAS in November than there is in, say, July, so they put a larger capacity aircraft on the route.

According to seatguru, rows 16 and forward have AC power! The airline may not be allowed to consider 15 and 16 premium seats due to the fact that they are emergency exit rows and subject to reassignment if a person seated there cannot assist with evacuation duties.

They may only be spending 30 to 45 minutes there preparing for the next leg of the flight - which may be back to Newark :smiling_imp:

It’s probably hit/miss on the crew being happy about visiting LAS. Most folks either love it or hate it. I know NW is using circus-circus for their crew and I haven’t heard from anyone that’s happy about that! Gotta realize that an overnight for domestic crew isn’t usually more than eat/sleep/leave. Just hope that the crew that loves staying over actually found some sleep…

1. I have a theory that just about ANY crew going to LAS is going to be relatively pleasant - I mean, they get to spend time in Las Vegas! I do give credit to the outbound crew- they were very concerned about the people being well watered before hitting the desert…well that…and it means less to count up for inventory! But the FA’s were pleasant without being sugary, did their jobs, and plus we got Cheerios for breakfast! Coming back, they were very unobtrusive after the initial snack/soda run, and the one FA was very helpful after I had zonked out with a can of 7UP in my hand and had spilled some on my blanket -quickly replacing it with a dry one! (also lucked out both directions as the middle seat was empty both ways - double pillows on the redeye!!!) My only problem was that they kept the damn video going all darn night - King of Queens after 3 am is NO fun to watch w/o sound!

Depending on the time of day, the outbound crew may have not had a layover in Vegas. Most of the time I find that the crews on Vegas flights are more peppier because the passengers are. Just the atmosphere makes everyone happy. What you siad is true, as a FA we try to give out as much beverages, snacks, and peanuts so that we have less inventory at the end of the flight!!

I don’t think I’ve ever overnighted in Las Vegas, its normally just a turn. The flights are fun though, most of the passengers are relaxed and happy to be going to Vegas. Hawaii flights are the same way, lots of fun and a great casual atmosphere.

Equipment changes happen a lot. If a flight is already sold out a few months in advance it may make sense to bump up the capacity to the next largest aircraft, it just depends on whether or not they can find the equipment. Downgrades happen sometimes too, they have to pull the larger plane from another route.

Row 14 and 15 have limited recline on the 752, but as far as I now they are normal seats on the 753. 15 and 16 are the exit rows on the 752.

Just out of curiosity - the difference between a 753/Q…and a 753**/R**?

Is that just a pool designation or something?

Plus…I just LOVE when you choose a window seat two months ahead of time…with 8 empty rows all around you…and some idiot chooses the aisle and middle seats right next to you! Some people… :unamused:

What is the suffix that’s appended to an aircraft type, such as C172/G or B738/Q?

I’m sure they are looking to strictly inconvenience you. Ever think they may like that row for some reason? Maybe they think you are the idiot for picking the window seat.

If there are “8 empty rows all around you” then why don’t you just move after the flight takes off?

Could be that those people never actually chose their seats. They may have just bought tickets and the computer may have chosen those seats by default to keep seating arrangements nice and tidy.

Just thought of something else: weight and balance. I know I’ve ridden on MD-80’s that were nearly empty and the passengers were required to sit in a certain section in order to keep the center of gravity in a good location. This could also explain why the person sat near exapno.

And see there you go again ‘gettin all bout that’ when there could be a plausible explanation… You’re killin me… :laughing: entertaining…but killin me…