Question About Assigned Seats

A curiosity question –

On 9/19 my wife and I flew back from LHR to PHL on AWE 729. The shcedule (and even the Flight Tracker site) show an A 332 but they actually subbed a 767 that day. We had 2 assigned seats on the original flight together (something like 19G and H) but on the 767 we had something like 19F and 20E.

I’m just curious, don’t the airlines have smart enough computers (and people) to figure out that two people traveling on the same itinerary with the same last name want to stay together? We ended up taking 2 seats together in the middle (something like 20 D and E) since the staff at LHR didn’t seem to care.

The ironic part is that the two people in the window aisle seat numbers we had originally selected were unrelated and not traveling together.

The computers try to put people traveling together together when there are equipment changes, but sometimes it’s just not possible, as it also tries to keep people with Windows in Windows and people with Aisles in Aisles. They also, when possible, try to reduce the number of total seat changes that are necessary by keeping people in seats that still exist in the same class on the new aircraft where they are. Of course the system behind this for every airline or airline software package is different.

it depends on what airline usair ,delta,united,… every airline except south west have assigned seating. southwest has those zones a-d hopefully this info helps :wink:

No, this info does not help.

Please take the time to at least read the first message from the originator of each thread BEFORE posting a response :wink:

nerd1146: Southwest (note: it’s one word, the first letter capitalized) has Boarding Groups (not zones) A, B, and C.

Southwest is not the only airline without assigned seating.

Needlenose and others: Unfortunately, with the “upgraded” and “improved” forum software, no posts older than 1 year ago are available. I’m not sure what the default setting is but it’s probably less than a year so that means people posting to old threads may not see the first post(s) in a thread.

R-dub - the messages ARE available - they’re just not SEARCHABLE

Here’s Damiross’s first post from waaaaaaaay back in November of 2005 :wink:

I get this when I click on the link:

No posts exist inside this topic for the selected time frame.

Hmmmmm…

I get the following:

**damiross ** - Post subject: Random Flights always coming up with an AAL flight - Posted: 03 Nov 2005 14:12
I’ve clicked the random flight feature over a dozen times and everytime an American Airlines flight came up. Shouldn’t any flight, not just American, show up when clicking on a random flight?

What is your setting for “display posts from previous days?” The furthest I can go back is 1 year.

I entered post378.html#p378 again and still came up with “No posts exist inside this topic for the selected time frame.”

Where is this setting located? I looked in My Acoount, but don’t see such a setting.

-User Control Panel (top right)

• Board Preferences
  • Edit Display Options

When I tried to get the first posting for the Banter Thread, I could go back only a year.

Oh, the irony! 8)

Thanks, Needlenose. I didn’t see the top choice.

Had I designed the interface, I would have placed all topics at the top with descending amount of times (e.g. all topics, last year, last month, etc.) or at the bottom (last month, last year, all topics). Expecting it to be that way, I didn’t see the “all topics” choice.

I’m able to see Damiross’s first post.