Seeing My Receiver Data On The Internet, AWAY From Home

Hi,

I apologize if this topic has been covered, i wasn’t able to find it. If it was.

Is there an in depth tutorial on how to view my data from my receiver, when I am away from the house and NOT on my local network?

Basically if I am out running errands, to pull up the data on my laptop when I am away from the house.

How do I set this up, to do it?

Any information is much appreciated!

The details are going to depend on your specific router and how your home network is set up. The main idea is that you would need to enable port forwarding on your router. You can often find the specific directions by googling your router’s brand/model together with the phrase “port forwarding.” Directions meant for people setting up web servers on their home networks are going to be more useful to you than ones meant for people setting up torrents or services related to gaming.

Your My ADS-B page will tell you both “Internet IP” and “Site local IP,” which you will need to get things working. The web page with the planes on the map is on port 8080.

I feel compelled to mention that setting up port forwarding might make your home network less secure.

As above + there are a couple of ways to achieve that.

1. Ask your ISP for a fixed (public) IP address (if they do one, lots don’t) to get to your router from the internet.

2. Use a Dynamic DNS service, such as no-ip (http://www.noip.com) to get to your router from the internet.

Then, set up port forwarding as desired.

Maybe think about registering your own domain name and then ‘point’ it toward your public IP address or DDNS service.

A fixed IP address and own domain name is somewhat simpler to get running and I use just that and then inside my home network, I use a reverse proxy (nginx on a R-Pi v1) to allow only the traffic I want to accept and ‘point’ that to my internal servers/services.

If you have a decent router + network switch, you could VLAN the internal connection(s) to help isolate your systems, but that’s a whole different ball game.
None of it is ‘simple’ nor plug-n-play.

Nigel

You might consider getting a VPN router. That way your laptop is joined to the LAN. Still would need a dynamic DNS to find your IP.
With a VPN it is more secure than just opening-up your firewall to the Internet.

Or you can use a program like TeamViewer to view whats on your PC at any time remotely. That’s what I do as I have a home receiver and two remote receivers.

I just config my internet router to forwarding 8080 TCP port to Flightfeeder local IP last weekend.
You can find your internet address that shown in flightaware.com/adsb/stats/user/YOUR_ACCOUNT
Now you can access to data via your Internet IP followed by port 8080 example 123.123.123.123:8080
:wink:

I highly recommend changing to some odd, non-standard port to limit your exposure to attack.

Check this post for information that will get you close, depending on your setup.

Not that difficult to scan for open ports - there are plenty of tools for that.
Check your own out here (from inside you home network)
grc.com/shieldsup

IPV6 will help out here. Not only do you get an enormous amount of public IP addresses per use, on a 10 gig link, it would take 5 years to scan one user subnet.

Sure, if you open it, someone will find it with enough effort. Most people will scan the most standard ports for vulnerabilities. If you move off a standard port, someone has to really want in. If you want security, don’t open it up. If you do open it up, don’t make it easy. Security through obscurity. It’s not perfect, but it is better than using port 80 or 8080 which all bots scan for.

My God, people… Can you possible be more downers???

Pretty much don’t worry about all this tweaker fake news. Just use your internet router to create port translations between your RPi and the Internet, and you should be fine. Don’t use common ports.

Unless, you are part of some super secret spy cabal who is the prime target of the Illuminati internet hacker assassins. In that case, put your RPi in the DMZ and call it good. If it gets compromised, no big deal.

Some people can walk around Rome all day with their wallet in their back pocket and not get pick-pocketed. No big deal :slight_smile:

1. Port forwarding to SSH on your receiver.

2. Setup Dynamic DNS [www.DynDNS.com, freedns.afraid.org, no-ip.com, GnuDIP].

3. SSH tunnel as a SOCKS proxy. For windows and PuTTY see here
    :

I would use a VPN server for this personally. Most good routers these days provide a VPN server…

If you are using Ver 3 of PiAware then you are running a real web server called lighttpd. It is much more robust than what was used on older versions. I wouldn’t worry too much about port forwarding to your PiAware system port 80. You could pick a nonstandard port and forward that to port 80 on the Pi, if you like.

I use a proxy on my main webserver to send specific URLs to the PiAware machine, port 80, not 8080 because that is the old web server that tries to forward to lighttpd. That works, but is more complicated to set up. Besides, you’re probably going to run lighttpd on the internet facing machine anyway.

The one issue that might arise is the lack of timeout options in PiAware’s web view. In other words, if someone connects, and leaves their browser window open, you will continue to send data every second or so. This may become an issue if you have a data cap on your Internet account. It would be nice if FA added a configurable timeout to the web view… no mouse or keyboard activity for X seconds then drop the connection.

freybear:

Please see my Private Message.

Alex

Concur, you can use it for other useful stuff too.