FlightAware Discussions

Same Ident on same day

It’s taken this newbie two months to realise that I have more or less hit the limit of my current site
in terms of rising up the ranks (without spending further £££, conscious of law of diminishing returns)!

I’ve been tuning with the aid of the graphs1090 and according to the data I see a lot of “positions” (typically around 20 million over 30-days) and message rate is quite encouraging, but I get nowhere near as many aircraft counted as I would have imagined. My gain is set appropriately not to loose too many nearby aircraft due to proximity of the RAF base at Brize Norton and the (mainly light) aircraft out of Cotswold Airport (on fine days).

Naive question:
Am I correct in my assumption that an aircraft is counted only if it is a unique Ident per day?

I only ask because sometimes I see aircraft (such as C17, C30J & C130) out of Brize Norton, often “practicing” and the local sky can feel busy with traffic circling, but my aircraft count sadly refuses to increase as much as I would have imagined :frowning:

RRR840

Example: I see Ident RR818 flying and completing its flight. Then same Ident flying later in the day. So should that Ident count 1 only for the day or would it be fairer if it counted 1 for each flight (there may be several) on that day?

Analysis of the tracklog data would no doubt discriminate between the separate flights.
Just a thought!

For commercial flights, would one ever expect to see the same Ident re-used within a day?

I’m thinking primarily of the short regional hops that the same aircraft may be able to complete/repeat quickly. Perhaps that’s deliberately planned / scheduled to avoid any possibility of ambiguity of flight Ident?

No idea why people are so bothered about where they are in the table - surely what matters is that people are receiving as much local traffic as possible so they are adding to the larger pool effectively. Most people can get an aircraft at 30000feet 150 miles away using a wet cabbage leaf as an antenna.

The mission number won’t change until it’s on another mission…so in your example above RRR818 was a single tasking for the C17…it presumably involved landing and loading/unloading/refuelling or whatever BUT it was a SINGLE planned mission.

1 Like

It’s the airframe, not the flight number that is tracked (if you are talking about the Flightaware stats). If you see the same aircraft flying back and forth all day, it will only be counted once in that day. The aircraft counted in graphs1090 are all aircraft currently visible whether they were seen previously or not.

Where you end up in the overall leaderboard is not really significant, since it’s heavily affected by local traffic. People in busy areas are higher up - in Europe you will be much higher in summer than winter as traffic is more seasonal than the US. It’s mainly of use to compare to other stations nearby, since you can somewhat see if a change in your own receiver is reflected in others, and hence is caused by something outside your control.

@morfis

The mission number won’t change until it’s on another mission

@caius

It’s the airframe, not the flight number that is tracked

Thank you both - that clarifies it for me.

@caius

Where you end up in the overall leaderboard is not really significant

@morfis

No idea why people are so bothered about where they are in the table

I agree with both these sentiments, but when one is a newbie to monitoring 1090 Mhz for the first time it is very useful to have a way of gauging the receiving system performance against my nearby sites and seeing how one is doing against the UK in general.

Gamification is also a useful feature to encourage new users to tune their systems and at least make them optimal for their location.

Realistically for me it has taken a couple of months to get my system tuned how I want it and it has been an enjoyable exercise while doing so.

1 Like