Remote ADS-B receiver setup questions

Hi, I’ve joined the group two weeks ago with a new receiver setup. I am living in a remote location surrounded by high ground / mountains. At this stage my antenna is 12m above ground level. My question is: About 2 kilometer from my house is a mountain peak which will give me excellent coverage. I can relocate the receiver with the Pi to the new location. I can power everything with a solar setup but how do I get my signal from there to my internet connection at home? I guess it will be a wireless connection. Can anybody explain it to me (limited knowledge in this field) with specific equipment what I would need. Thanks.

How far is it? Is it line of sight? What’s your budget for this project?

It is less than 2 kilometers and it is line of sight with no obstacles in the way. I have no idea about the cost of these items but would like to keep it on the lower side since it is only a hobby.

Cheap way: Get a cell phone modem for the raspberry pi (~$20 on eBay) and pay the $20/month fee for cellphone data plans. This assume you have cellphone coverage at the location.

More expensive way: Get a directional wifi system using Yagi antennas. DIY are somewhat cheap but there are some premade ones that are very expensive. About $50-300 in hardware but uses the internet from your home.

Expensive way: Use microwave or light to transmit the data. These are custom system designed for gigabit speeds across many miles. $1000s

Expensive way 2: Setup satellite internet $50/month

Thank you very much. That explains it very good. Much appreciated.

How does that work? I have several of those lying around at home, I probably need Linux drivers?

If it’s just 2km and you are in a rural area, I think you can easily get ideal wireless internet connection using 2.4GHz wireless net bridge system.

It’s like a point to point transmission system and is not very expensive. You gonna need 2 pairs of 2.4GHz antennas, the kind you see on a cell phone tower.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/LAFALINK-LF-R500U-2-4GHz-150Mbps-Outdoor-Wireless-Ethernet-CPE-Bridge-White/392012843730?hash=item5b45c94ad2:g:s0YAAOSwPnNaw~tT:sc:USPSPriority!10301!US!-1

Cheap way: Huawei E397 4G LTE Mobile is one cellphone modem model I have used. Two things to check is that the modem is unlocked so you can use any sim card and if the carrier frequency is supported by the modem. There are usually instructions online how to setup cellphone modem on raspberry pi since this is by far the more common way to remotely setup a system.

h20 wireless (ATT reseller) charges about $20/month for 1GB data which should be enough for most tracking uses.

tracfone (verizon reseller) charges about $15/month for 0.5GB data.

The other choice is to add an extra line on your current cellphone plan. These usually run about $10-30/month depending on the carrier.

More expensive way: The directional wifi system are also known as long range wireless bridges. They all use Yagi type antennas but I don’t know the brands that are good since i have never personally used one. The one linked by u2ever looks to be a complete system with modem and wifi antenna. These types of system are more expensive initial cost but you can then save on monthly fees.

Read this eHam thread, good info there:

http://www.eham.net/ehamforum/smf/index.php?topic=117204.0

I didn’t know that Ubiquiti makes long range wifi modems. I have used their in home wifi systems and they are top quality.

~$200 in hardware

15km in range

~$1000 in hardware

25km in range

One thing to mention, 2.4GHz wifi signals doesn’t travel well through wall and trees. To get the quoted range you need direct line of sight.

This will require precise aiming of dishes at two ends, so that their axes form one straight line. The mounting should also be firm, otherwise the dishes can get missalligned due to strong winds, and the wifi connection gets weak or broken.

Funny: the word axes is plural for both axis and axe

I’ve read up on the different systems you’ve proposed here. Yes, the exact distance is 1,7km and it is a clear view from my house to the top of the mountain. The mountain is pretty inaccessible and for that reason I would like to keep trips up to the top to the minimum. Yes, we do have cell coverage here and I will firstly pursue the cell phone modem option. Will visit the cell providers on my next visit to town. The point to point wifi is also an option but we have a lot of baboons in the mountains whom cannot stay away from installations. I see myself re aligning the antennas quite often in this scenario. As a matter of interest, the Lafalink type units state operating temp as 0 degrees C to say 40 C. It get below freezing here in winter. Is it a concern and something to watch out for since the unit will be in the open.
Once again, thank you for the replies and assistance.