Thanks everybody for the excellent ideas here. I now have it working.
My new router came in (Netgear AC1200) and I just got it setup. Below is the working wpa_supplicant.conf
Here are some things I learned that might help someone that finds this post later:
The new router was well worth the upgrade. It is a dual 2.4 and 5 GHz WIFI router that came with default different SSID names for both 2.4 and 5G. I ended up changing these to custom names but the different names for the two bands is a real good idea and I kept this. This will make it easy to know if one it trying to access the 2.4 or 5 G For example my TV supports 5 G so I will use the SSID for the 5 G band for the TV and keep it off of the 2.4. The Raspberry Pi zero needs the 2.4 so I can make sure it gets what it wants. I have a Raspberry Pi 3B+ that I run a remote SDR on and it slams the WIFI when I use it. I think it supports 5G so I will select the 5G SSID and keep the 2.4G free.
The new router also has some very nice advance features:
Under Administration - attached devices I could see the Pi logon and knew it was working and find it’s IP.
The router has a LAN - setup - address reservation that lets me reserve the IP for the device so it will stay the same and I can use a bookmark to open my local PiAware page.
And perhaps the best part is the new router tripled my download speed.
5 star for this one