Positions count fell 30% after upgrading to 2.0 beta

Hi,

I upgraded to 2.0 last weekend and since my reception is about 20% lower than with previous version (from 105k down to 70k). I am using dump1090 mutability version. Is this expected? Should I revert to fa dump version? did I miss an update for the mutability package?

Regards,

There were no changes to the decoding side in 2.0, it was piaware only.
Do you have local stats showing a drop in received messages, or is it only the position reports as seen on the FA website that have dropped?
Also check that dump1090-mutability is, in fact, still running and you didn’t revert to some other dump1090 version on upgrade/restart

The piaware health messages seem to indicate that you’re running dump1090-mutability but using faup1090 to translate to the FlightAware format - is that right?
There were some changes to the rules that faup1090 uses to decide when to forward traffic, so that very stale positions are not forwarded - that might be the cause of the reduced position rate (actually, it’s just not sending useless data any more)

I also see a drop in positions reported but NOT in the number of planes reported. This makes sense if it is no longer reporting so called stale positions.

Hi,

PID USER      PR  NI  VIRT  RES  SHR S  %CPU %MEM    TIME+  COMMAND
29548 dump1090  15  -5 17904 9132 1924 R  34.8  2.0  21858:30 dump1090-mutabi
18295 mlat      25   5 12448 9684 5780 S   2.6  2.2   2431:16 mlat-client
 4857 root      20   0 11196 8692 4440 S   2.3  2.0  35:21.83 fa-mlat-client

I am running fa-up for some obscure reason I forgot. when I started with mutab there was an issue and you (or maybe someone else usggested to use fa-up).

I am now running both m-lat clients, but there have quite alow impact so I would not expect this to be the reason for the drop in my reports.

I will try to recconfigure dump-mutab to respond to fa without going through FAdump.

Better to stick with what you have - the drop in position count is cosmetic, the faup1090 change is there for a reason…

(I will roll that change or something similar into dump1090-mutability soon too)

Hi All,

Thanks for the feedback. I eventually when up in the attic the day before last night, to check on the antenna, and found out that the antenna had slept down the PVC tube. I have pushed it all the way up the tube, and I am back in the 100k positions per day.

FWIW, this confirms that 1/2 length part of coco antenna out of the attic bring 20% more positions than the whole antenna in the attic.

Next step rebuild a coco and mount it fully out.

++