Please share info about MLAT :) Newbie here!

Hey, as i can see , some users are at a distance of 250Km or so on only!
so i wanna ask what’s the range in which MLAT get sync and allows us to report MLAT?
Via Stats i can see 3 users near me within 300km radius
and they are succesfully reporting via MLAT
But my MLAT is enable , still no reports :!
Confused!
And please ignore if you found this post too foolish or noobi :stuck_out_tongue:
Thanks

at least as I know(if not would I like if someone else corrected that) mlat have limitations only for minimal distance between stations for maximal distance that depends of your good coverage and data uploading
if you are not sending mlat check if your location altitude and time are correct.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

As far as I know you are not reporting mlat directly. For mlat to work, at a minimum 3 other stations should send Mode-S messages from the same aircraft to flightaware. You are saying that nearest stations are around 250km which make it less likely that 4 stations are seeing the same aircraft/sending data to flightaware and as the result you not getting mlat positions back (and stats for mlat as well). BTW, mode-s messages are counted on the “other” line on the stats page.

It is not the distance between sites that matter but how many sites are able to see a specific plane.

We need 4 sites to see a specific plane for MLAT to solve for the the position of the plane. This is the main reason higher flying planes usually have MLAT positions but lower flying planes usually do not. If your site have a large coverage area your chances of syncing is greatly improved.

I would also suggest you take a look at your ADSB stats page. It list the number of nearby sites that you are synced with.
To be synced with another site both sites need to see at least one plane together. 4 or more Synced and you might get some MLAT positions.

We have a coverage map that can help see how close you are to others. It also has a MLAT and ADS-B layer that can be turn on and off to compare coverage.
flightaware.com/adsb/coverage

[quote=“david.baker”]It is not the distance between sites that matter but how many sites are able to see a specific plane.

We need 4 sites to see a specific plane for MLAT to solve for the the position of the plane. This is the main reason higher flying planes usually have MLAT positions but lower flying planes usually do not. If your site have a large coverage area your chances of syncing is greatly improved.

I would also suggest you take a look at your ADSB stats page. It list the number of nearby sites that you are synced with.
To be synced with another site both sites need to see at least one plane together. 4 or more Synced and you might get some MLAT positions.

We have a coverage map that can help see how close you are to others. It also has a MLAT and ADS-B layer that can be turn on and off to compare coverage.
flightaware.com/adsb/coverage
[/quote]

Thanks alot david and other support/members…
I will see the nearby sites,
And thanks for explaining it to me :slight_smile:

Your site does not have good coverage. You should be seeing much larger ranges. Don’t know if your antenna is on a roof, but it looks like you just have an antenna in a window.

Have fun!

Its 30m above ground
And 1950ft above sea level
There is no building blocking it