Piaware in Car while at Airport?

NO if you do not want to display MLAT planes on your map. Plane table will display positionless planes also.

YES if you want to display MLAT planes on your map. Plane table will display positionless planes, but now with positiond calculated by MLAT.

You will need a WiFi/hotspot/wired internet connection to connect to Flightaware if you want MLAT.

If you dont want MLAT, you dont need internet connection.

I’m getting planes on the map and total planes and their positions. I get more airplanes that I do airplanes with their positions.

I still get the same error popping up…
Problem fetching data from dump1090.
AJAX call failed (timeout: timeout). Maybe dump1090 is no longer running?
The displayed map data will be out of date.

I see that you have 3 dvb-t plugged into your computer. I am not sure, but may be this is the reason of you getting the “AJAX call failed” warning. Try with other 2 dongles removed and keep only one plugged in and see if the error message disappears or persist. Dont forget to restart dump1090 after removing the other 2 dongles.

sudo systemctl restart dump1090-mutability

Hmm. That’s weird. I only have the one Piaware dongle hooked up?

I can see one is a Flightaware Pro Stick (serial number 00001000), and other 2 generic (serial number 00000001).

Have you any other type of receiver like Air Band or TV or similar plugged in? These may have a tuner chip RTL2838U and recognized as DVB-T dongle by rtl_test.

Yes,you are right. I do use this laptop for my Police Scanner software,so that’s the other two it sees. Wouldn’t think it would see them with them not attached.
I’m still looking for a laptop dedicated just for this purpose. You think that’s the issue?
Does everything else look Good,besides that error?

Restart the computer. Often uncureable diseases are cured by the medicine “reboot” :smile:

I am not sure, but this may be a possibility

If you see map, planes on map changing position, and table at right populated and changing with time, then everything looks good, besides the warning, which is wierd.

Did a reboot and the error is still there in Chromium and FF. I should have a dedicated laptop for this within a week so I’ll try it again to see if that error still pops up. I appreciate the help getting this far.

Try one last thing before going to dedicated laptop

sudo dpkg-reconfigure dump1090-mutability

When you reach screen “RTL-SDR Dongle to use”, enter serial number of your Pro Stick (00001000) and complete configuration. After that restart computer

sudo reboot

Tried it and error still pops up.
I actually to it to the airport today and couldn’t get anything to work because I had no internet access. Isn’t this the purpose of this build? What am I missing?

Seems installation of dump1090 did not execute properly. Broken installations have happened with me several times, and after unsuccessful attempts to debug, I finally formatted microSD card/USB flash stick, wrote the Raspbian Jessie/Pixel x86 image, and ran J Prochazka’s automated installation script and installed dump1090, data feeders and graphs.

By the way, at airport did you try to boot Windows, and use modeSDeco2 to see the planes? If that one worked OK, then at least your hardware (Whip antenna + DVB-T/ProStick) are proved, and problem narrows down to software. modeSDeco also does not require internet connection for watching locally.

I didn’t use modeSDeco2 at the airport,but I just used it and I get plane info,but the map isn’t showing anything and it’s even showing the wrong country. My coordinates are correct though.

Is is getting to the point of doing a fresh install?

It may help to solve the problem if you post screenshots of what you see (for both: dump1090 and modeSDeco2).

I feel kind of dumb. I was running modeSDeco2 and saw that I hadn’t moved my map around to where my location was. Once I did I saw my coordinates and planes on the map. Also there was data being recieved with NO internet. So atleast that is working.

I am now running dump1090 on the same laptop that I had been using and am still getting that error mentioned. I left that
laptop running and got the other laptop and logged into dump1090 and I haven’t seen that error in 20 minutes. Must be something with that laptop causing the issue. Unfortunately,once I turn off wifi,I can no longer access the webpage.

Even without WiFi, you can see dump1090 map on other laptop if you
(1) Plug into the other laptop:

(2) Boot the other laptop from USB flash.

Actually your USB flash memory stick is now a portable Piaware :smiley: , and you can use it with most of desktops/Laptops if you boot from the USB flash.

Used the other laptop and got the error also.:thinking:
Not sure what’s going on.
Doesn’t work without Wifi on.

Browser requires to download map from Open Street or Google and needs Internet connection. Once the map is downloaded and saved in Browser Cache, it wont need Internet connection. May be you have set your Browser to clear cache/history at exit. In this case every time you start browser to see dump1090 map, it will require Internet connection, and in the absence of connection, will show planes on white background - no map.

I don’t think I have it set to clear on exit,I’ll have to check and see.
I’m headed out for a week,so I’ll have to wait until i get back to try again.

Piaware in Car - Hardware Setup :smile:

1 Like

My car is starting to resemble that.:upside_down_face:

2 Likes