Piaware for Raspberry Pi Zero 2 W

Thanks for your quick reply :slight_smile:

BULLSEYE: Automated Scripts for Building and Installing piaware, dump1090-fa, dump978-fa, & piaware-web, from source code

NOTE: These scripts will install all required build tool and dependencies packages first, and then build the piaware, dump1090-fa, dump978-fa packages. The process will take considerable time. Please be patient.

(1) DUMP1090-FA

Install: Copy-paste following command in SSH terminal.
sudo bash -c "$(wget -O - https://raw.githubusercontent.com/abcd567a/piaware-ubuntu20-amd64/master/install-dump1090-fa.sh)"

(2) PIAWARE

2.1 - Install: Copy-paste following command in SSH terminal.
sudo bash -c "$(wget -O - https://raw.githubusercontent.com/abcd567a/piaware-ubuntu20-amd64/master/install-piaware.sh)"

2.2 - Configure: Copy-paste following command in SSH terminal
sudo piaware-config feeder-id xxxxxxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxxxxxxxx

sudo piaware-config allow-manual-updates yes
sudo piaware-config allow-auto-updates yes
sudo systemctl restart piaware
sudo systemctl restart dump1090-fa

(3) PIAWARE-WEB

Install: Copy-paste following command in SSH terminal.
sudo bash -c "$(wget -O - https://raw.githubusercontent.com/abcd567a/piaware-ubuntu20-amd64/master/install-piaware-web.sh)"

(4) DUMP978-FA

4.1 - Install: Copy-paste following command in SSH terminal:
sudo bash -c "$(wget -O - https://raw.githubusercontent.com/abcd567a/piaware-ubuntu20-amd64/master/install-dump978-fa.sh)"

4.2 - Serialize Dongles
sudo apt install rtl-sdr
rtl_eeprom -s 00001090 ##Plug-in 1090 dongle only
rtl_eeprom -s 00000978 ##Plug-in 978 dongle only

4.3 - Configure dump1090-fa and dump978-fa to use their respective dongles

sudo piaware-config uat-receiver-type sdr  
sudo sed -i 's/^RECEIVER_SERIAL=.*/RECEIVER_SERIAL=00001090/' /etc/default/dump1090-fa 
sudo sed -i 's/driver=rtlsdr[^ ]* /driver=rtlsdr,serial=00000978 /' /etc/default/dump978-fa  

sudo reboot  

2 Likes

@abcd567, Thank you!
How about bullseye arm64 on Raspberry Pi Zero 2 W?
Dump-fa was smoothly but I get stuck when building piaware. Could you have a look?

make -C dump978 faup978 VERSION=6.1
make[2]: Entering directory ‘/home/pi/piaware_builder/package-buster/dump978’
g++ -g -O2 -ffile-prefix-map=/home/pi/piaware_builder/package-buster=. -fstack-p rotector-strong -Wformat -Werror=format-security -std=c++11 -Wall -Wno-psabi -We rror -O2 -g -Ilibs -Wdate-time -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2 -DVERSION="6.1" -c -o faup 978_main.o faup978_main.cc

Very nice explanatory reply to @emmmceee

I do also appreciate his explanation as to one post in feature request and one in ADS-B This is a great forum but the interface can be a bit awkward, I have often struggled to find reference to something I have previously seen.

I am sure your excellent reply will make him happy, it certainly enhances the reputation of this forum.

Geoff

1 Like

Downloaded 64-bit bullseye image (2021-10-30-raspios-bullseye-arm64-lite.zip) and wrote to microSD card. Slipped card into RPi Model 4 (dont have Zero 2 W) and successfully installed dump1090-fa, piaware, piaware-web, and dump978-fa.

I did not find any problems. The piaware package building process many times seems to stuck / hang / freeze, but it is actually working in background. please be patient and wait, the process which seems to stuck will move on after a while.

2 Likes

muito bom!

Blockquote

1 Like

Package install of piaware 6.1 on Bullseye 32-Bit & 64-Bit

Hello @abcd567,

Thanks for your efforts in helping us out with the port to Bullseye while we wait PA 7. I’m trying out your script on the older RPi0W with a fresh install of Bullseye. Your step 2.1 PIAWARE Install hangs (for over six hours twice) at the following step:

The terminal output following the above command is:

make[2]: Entering directory '/home/pi/piaware_builder/package-buster/dump978'
g++ -g -O2 -ffile-prefix-map=/home/pi/piaware_builder/package-buster=. -fstack-protector-strong -Wformat -Werror=format-security -std=c++11 -Wall -Wno-psabi -Werror -O2 -g -Ilibs -Wdate-time -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2 -DVERSION=\"6.1\"  -c -o faup978_main.o faup978_main.cc

The preceding step (1) DUMP1090-FA completed with the Reboot directive that I duly complied with. What is your recommended workaround, please? Thanks.

Kind regards.

P.S. Are there some command line switches, in your scripts (I’m faint hearted to dig into these :grinning:), to disable the build(s) for 978 just to get PiAware to to run for now?

My apologies for not reading the FULL thread. My issue was reported previously. Sorry for the redundant post.

Kind regards.

I built from source on the Pi02W, today. Took a while but not so long as I thought it would. Running now but am missing the repository lines so it will get update. Is there a script to put those in?

sudo apt-get upgrade
Reading package lists… Done
Building dependency tree… Done
Reading state information… Done
Calculating upgrade… Done
The following packages have been kept back:
dump1090-fa piaware
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 2 not upgraded.

apt list --upgradable
Listing… Done
dump1090-fa/unknown 6.1 armhf [upgradable from: 6.1]
piaware/unknown 6.1 armhf [upgradable from: 6.1]

sudo apt-get update
Hit:1 http://flightaware.com/adsb/piaware/files/packages buster InRelease
Hit:2 Index of /debian bullseye InRelease
Hit:3 Index of /raspbian bullseye InRelease
Hit:4 http://repo.feed.flightradar24.com flightradar24 InRelease
Reading package lists… Done

It took somewhere between 13 to 20 hours to reach the following stage:

make[2]: Entering directory '/home/pi/piaware_builder/package-buster/dump978'
g++ -g -O2 -ffile-prefix-map=/home/pi/piaware_builder/package-buster=. -fstack-protector-strong -Wformat -Werror=format-security -std=c++11 -Wall -Wno-psabi -Werror -O2 -g -Ilibs -Wdate-time -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2 -DVERSION=\"6.1\"  -c -o faup978_main.o faup978_main.cc
g++: fatal error: Killed signal terminated program cc1plus
compilation terminated.
make[2]: *** [<builtin>: faup978_main.o] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory '/home/pi/piaware_builder/package-buster/dump978'
make[1]: *** [debian/rules:54: build_dump978] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory '/home/pi/piaware_builder/package-buster'
make: *** [debian/rules:95: build] Error 2
dpkg-buildpackage: error: debian/rules build subprocess returned exit status 2
grep: debian/piaware/DEBIAN/control: No such file or directory
Installing piaware package
dpkg: error: dpkg frontend lock was locked by another process with pid 21479
Note: removing the lock file is always wrong, and can end up damaging the
locked area and the entire system. See <https://wiki.debian.org/Teams/Dpkg/FAQ>.
Failed to enable unit: Unit file piaware.service does not exist.
Failed to restart piaware.service: Unit piaware.service not found.

PIAWARE INSTALLATION COMPLETED 

If you already have  feeder-id, please configure piaware with it 
Feeder Id is available on this address while loggedin: 
    https://flightaware.com/adsb/stats/user/ 

sudo piaware-config feeder-id xxxxxxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxxxxxxxx 

The platform is:

pi@raspbari15:~ $ lsb_release -a
No LSB modules are available.
Distributor ID:	Raspbian
Description:	Raspbian GNU/Linux 11 (bullseye)
Release:	11
Codename:	bullseye
pi@raspbari15:~ $ uname -a
Linux raspbari15 5.10.63+ #1459 Wed Oct 6 16:40:27 BST 2021 armv6l GNU/Linux
pi@raspbari15:~ $ sudo piaware-config feeder-id xxxxxxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxxxxxxxx
sudo: piaware-config: command not found
pi@raspbari15:~ $ 

The feeder-id is masked in the above output.
Neither piaware.service nor piaware-config are operational, so I don’t understand the meaning of the output line:

PIAWARE INSTALLATION COMPLETED

Looks like, for a timid person (when it comes to bash) like myself, waiting till Dec is the best option. I will try the same operation on RPi4 (if I can get one locally without being scalped). Of course, all suggestions and guidance are welcome without reservation.

Kind regards.

If I was to guess at the problem, it’d be that you’re running out of memory during that compile.

If you have a beefier Pi like a Pi 4 running bullseye you could try building the packages there and copying them over.

For sake of eliminating need for compilation on every user’s Pi, I have built the Piaware 6.1 packages from source code on RPi Model 4 running Bullseye, and uploaded these to my PPA at Github. There are 2 sets of packages, one built on 32-bit Bullseye, other built on 64-bit Bullseye.

These can be installed on RPi without need for compilation, simply by adding my PPA to apt sources list, updating, and then issueing commands “sudo apt install piaware”, “sudo apt install dump1090-fa” . Please visit following post for step by step guide:

Package install of piaware 6.1 on Bullseye 32-Bit & 64-Bit

The packages built from source code on your Pi have no repository.

Only the packages supplied by Flightaware have repository lines and are updateable/upgradeable. Since Flightaware’s current packages are for Buster, these packages fail to install on Bullseye. That is the reason you had to built it on your Pi running Bullseye.

If you want an upgradeable package, you will have to replace your currently built packages by ver 7 packages when Flightaware releases these. The Flightaware’s ver 7 will be installable on Bullseye.

No need to purchase RPi Model 4 for just building the packages. Try installing pre-built packages (which I have built on Bullseye/RPI Model 4), from my PPA (Personal Package Archive) at Github with following commands. First 2 commands will take few seconds each, 3rd+4th+5th+6th will take a total of 5 ~ 10 minutes:

sudo wget -O /etc/apt/sources.list.d/abcd567a.list https://abcd567a.github.io/ppa/piaware/abcd567a.list   
## above command is long. Scroll right to see and copy it in full

sudo wget -O - https://abcd567a.github.io/ppa/piaware/KEY.gpg | sudo apt-key add -   
## Dont miss to copy - at the end of above command
## Ignore warning "depricated" given when above command is executed

sudo apt update   

sudo apt install piaware  

sudo apt install dump1090-fa   

sudo apt install piaware-web
## In your Browser, go to address "IP-of-Pi" OR "IP-of-Pi:80" to see piaware-web

sudo reboot
## Dont forget to reboot 

1 Like

Thanks a bunch, @abcd567. I will settle for your recommendations/suggestions/guidance and avoid the urge to confirm Einstein’s definition of insanity.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Kind regards.

This is my first encounter with the message about no candidates. I did not know that Bullseye was even out there. I just installed the latest and got it without knowing. Found out that was the bleeding edge. So, to stop the bleeding, I backed off and went back to Buster Lite for a few months until everything is caught up.

Thanks for the info. It was my lack of knowledge, partially, that got in the way. It was interesting to build from source. It was actually rather fast on the 02W. Faster than I would have thought. I saw error messages, here and there, but it worked so I guess they were not important. There is another, BIG problem with Bullseye. I always increase the boot partition size and have for several years so it will not fill up and blow up an apt-get upgrade run. When you do the standard procedure on Bullseye, you end up with an unbootable flash. So, again, back to Buster, do the procedure, all is well. Surely is bleeding edge and I don’t like bleeding quite that much!

Anyway, back to Buster and feeding from the FF (on your antenna) and my PiAware on my, better, home built antenna with 25% better range. The antenna are, essentially, colocated and mine outperforms yours. I have the Orange FA stick. Not sure what is in the FF box, since it has no shell.

Thanks for the pointers and help,

Mike Morrow

For others’ information the latest Buster version of Raspbian is available here:
https://downloads.raspberrypi.org/raspios_armhf/images/raspios_armhf-2021-05-28/

abcd567 is Zeus! I carefully followed the steps here and it seems pkgs installed. I added “sudo apt install dump978” so hopefully I can run dual receivers for tracking both bands. Now I’ve got to work on getting things started up and also upon boot-up for my dedicated piaware host (RPi 3B+ with bullseye).

Above intructions were for installation of piaware, dump1090-fa & dump978-fa packages which you have done successfully.

However for dual band operation, you need instruction to configure also. These instructions are in the post linked below. In that post, scroll down to STEP-6: configure dump978-fa.

Package install of piaware 6.1 on Bullseye 32-bit & 64-Bit