PiAware 3.x and Dump978

dump1090-fa

made a change, but appears to be overwritten.

Generated automatically by fa_config_generator

This file will be overwritten on reboot.

DECODER_OPTIONS=“–max-range 360”
NET_OPTIONS=“–net --net-heartbeat 60 --net-ro-size 1000 --net-ro-interval 1 --net-http-port 0 --net-ri-port 0 --net-ro-port 30002 --net-sbs-port 30003 --net-bi-port 30004,30104”
JSON_OPTIONS=“–json-location-accuracy 2”
RECEIVER_OPTIONS=“–device-index 0 --gain 48 --ppm 0 --net-bo-port 30005 --fix”

@BE35G,
Not sure what you should do other than checking the /etc/default files.

My replacement 978 Mhz Hab/Nevis Amps are still stuck in LAX (for a week).
So, I thought I would give the FA Pro-stick a go.
I connected it for a couple of hours and got nothing.
I added the FA Filter and wooh, lots of hits even with the gain dialed back to 40db.
It would be nice to have a decent cavity filter but at least I can get something to work.

Thanks jonhawkes2030

I just went back to piaware 3.1.x and dump1090-multi. I really liked the 1090-fa web interface, some cool features, but I want to see and feed UAT/978. Maybe 1090-FA, in the future will support UAT, or at least allow a feed of UAT. As we get closer to 2020, UAT will get larger and larger. I know my plane is going to be UAT in 2017.

On Soap Box

"Daniel Baker … was a newly minted private pilot flying Cessna 172s around the country. "I wanted my friends and family to be able to track my flights just as they could if I were flying on a commercial airline,” explains Baker. “I may have been piloting the aircraft myself, but I still needed a ride once I landed. There were a few commercial products that provided this service for around $1,000 a month, but that wasn’t a realistic solution for friends and family…”

The posts I have read about UAT from FA, dismisses UAT. As an airplane owner, with mode C transponder, UAT is the cheap, and most beneficial way to comply with the ADS-B mandate. Get weather and traffic…

Off Soap Box

Again, Thanks everyone for making this stuff work, it is cool!

@BE35G,

To be fair, there are many more 1090 decoders(software and hardware based) than uat 978.
dump1090, modes deco, radarcape, Mode S Beast, SBS1,2,3, puck 1090, trilby hat, Blade RF, airspy, rtl1090, sdrplay, plane plotter etc.
32 software packages come up on github.

I can only find one decoder for UAT 978Mhz on the Internet.

Also, the market is small. Only the USA is rolling out UAT 978, only were Mode C is currently required, less than A180. The due date is Jan 1, 2020. Actually, this is only half true as 1090 ADS-B can also be used to satisfy the requirement.

Also, I think that the FA market is largely commercial and airline transport aircraft.

ADS-C and other satellite based receivers may simplify a lot of the 1090 reception in the future.
I hope that UAT 978 will take off (the benefits of free weather and other FIS-B services should help).
I doubt it will be worth the money the decode UAT 978 using satellites so ground services will become more important.
I think I have even seen big jets, like UA and JBU, sending out UAT978

I admit that I have spent most of my time trying to get UAT 978 to work. It is really hard to tune with no signal level reports or graphs, so I have to just change it, wait and look. Whilst I get 1090 contacts 24/7, UAT can get really quiet, especially in bad weather. If my replacement Amps get here soon, then I should be able to get better reception with a reasonably high omni-directional antenna.

Jon

Jon,

I just got a FA Pro Stick, no filter and put it up for 978. Seems to perform very nice, saw a C185 going into Ardmore, OK, about 70 miles north. Will have to wait and see how well it does, and try some different gains. I get the school aircraft out of DTO, most are UAT, so I have UAT traffic, if the weather is nice.

Thanks for the feedback,

Larry

Good luck Larry,

Mine(Pro stick) is working really well today with a gain of 43 (and the FA Filter) (EDIT: Gain now working well at 0).
flightaware.com/adsb/stats/user/ … tats-20974
I am using a directional antenna and have only played with a few gain settings.

The other problem for UAT 978 is antennas. I have the FA Dual band, however, it is no longer produced.
The DPD 978 Mhz antenna is $US150 (Plus taxes and delivery).

I did a search and couldn’t find any others that looked decent.

Jon

Change the file permission to 444 and it won’t be overwritten.

you can edit the script that configures it instead
/usr/lib/piaware-support/generate-receiver-config

That “0” needs to be “30001”.

sudo nano /etc/default/dump1090-fa

Ctrl-O to save, hit Enter to overwrite, Ctrl-X to exit.

After that do sudo systemctl restart dump1090-fa
In my system, it doesn’t get overwritten later.

1 Like