New Setup Help

Need help getting my station to work:

I downloaded the “piaware-jessie-full-sd-card-2.1-5.img” file and wrote it to a formatted SD card. I configured my username/password and when checking the status I get:

dump1090 is not running.
faup1090 is not running.
piaware is running.
no program appears to be listening for connections on port 30005.
faup1090 is NOT connected to port 30005.
piaware is connected to FlightAware.
got ‘couldn’t open socket: connection refused’
maybe dump1090 is NOT producing data on port 30005.

I don’t have any other devices installed and did not change any other settings from this image, any thoughts what is wrong?

Forgot to mention I am using a brand new Pro Stick that arrived today. First time set up. The yellow light is solid on the stick.

Update… I swapped out the Pro Stick with another SDR I had, and it works fine… Is there something special I need to do to get the Pro Stick to work? Or is it defective?

search the forums.
Some people have had issues with the plastic not allowing the dongle to seat correctly.

try
lsusb
cat /tmp/piaware.log
cat /var/log/messages

interesting. I took the case off the pi, inserted the pro stick, and it fired right up! the plastic piece to the case must have been touching the usb drive and caused something to break. I broke off one of the case clips and now the case is on and everything works. Thanks!

I solved this problem by cutting the plastic collar over USB metal. This resulted in 2mm extra length inserted in the usb socket of the RPi, and a proper contact was made.

http://discussions.flightaware.com/post194196.html#p194196

Original

After cutting the plastic collar