New PiAware 2.1-5 image with support for Raspberry Pi 3

I have three that work with no problems. Thousands have been sold.
You need to provide some details on the problem. Just saying it doesn’t work is not helpful.

when i ran a normal pi 2 with a 1 amp supply and a rtl-sdr stick it ran forever

i now run a pi 3 with the pro stick got a second pro stick and same thing it stops and I need to reboot online then all is fine for a while
until it stops again then I go online and reboot it all over and over again

using a 5 volt 5 amp supply with a new 32 gig samsung pro micro sd card

using flight aware antenna with the flight aware filter.

I see other users have this similar problem so i am thinking it has to do with the software or firmware

when I use a regular rtl-sdr stick with the pi 3 it also does the same stop and reboot.

power supply was tested and is fine !!

Is here somewhere with a working Pi3 with Flightaware USBStick and Filter?

When yes. What AC Adapter and what microsd card …

piaware 2.1.5. work on pi3 with normally rtl2832u stick but not with the new Flightware stick.

I have a pi2 and a pi3.
On pi2 work the Flightaware Usbstick fine no problems

PI3 work fine with config.txt edit
max_usb_current=1

look at the Flightaware stick plastic case covering the USB connection. Some users have reported that the USB stick case contacts the raspberry box before the USB connector makes contact.

Since yesterday, my piaware went down. About 5hours later it came back online but it was only version 1.20. I don’t know how this happened. Other receivers around me were working all the time. I was trying to install a usb modem from our main communication provider o i presume I have upset something in the process. I installed Joes scripts over a week ago and they seemed to be working fine. Now I want to update my piaware 1.20 back to 2.1-5 via the flightaware instruction but I get this message:

pi@piaware:~ $ sudo dpkg -i piaware_2.1-5_armhf.deb
dpkg: regarding piaware_2.1-5_armhf.deb containing piaware:
piaware-mutability conflicts with piaware
piaware (version 2.1-5) is to be installed.

dpkg: error processing archive piaware_2.1-5_armhf.deb (–install):
conflicting packages - not installing piaware
Errors were encountered while processing:
piaware_2.1-5_armhf.deb

Can anyone make a suggestion please?

FlightAware Support here. Sorry I missed your post.

Looking at your feed account, you appear to be running PiAware 2.1-5. Is everything OK now?

Yes mate it is running again. I ended up erasing the sd card and installing everything again. What is annoying me is my PI loses wifi then I have to pull the power and restart it to reconnect the feeders. It can be as little as two days apart. I hope this issue gets addressed. Very annoying.

Our instructions show how to make the Wifi auto-reconnect: flightaware.com/adsb/piaware/bu … ional#wifi

DBAKER

I have incorporated those lines into my PI. Could you clarify this for me; below is your code and if you note the second last line it says fi. Is this meant to be if?

#!/bin/bash

while true ; do
if ifconfig wlan0 | grep -q “inet addr:” ; then
sleep 60
else
echo “Network connection down! Attempting reconnection.”
ifup --force wlan0
sleep 10
fi
done

Believe it or not, that’s correct! It’s the closing statement/opposite of if.

Modest proposal for the next PiAware release–

I run my PiAware systems as production systems, which means regular backups, only running necessary software, and limited and screened updates. These steps, and others, are useful for keeping systems running smoothly long term.

There’s a configuration - operational change that could be made to the run scripts for PiAware.

Obj does this currently in his scripts for Dump1090-mutability, starting the process with a (re)nice priority boost of -5. This insures Dump1090-mutability gets priority over other processor-bound tasks. This is a good thing, keeping ADS-B processing responsive.

I’d suggest that the other processes in the PiAware suite get the same treatment. Those processes include: piaware, fa-mlat-client, and faup1090. We don’t expect these processes to be long-term compute bound. Rather, we want them responsive to message processing.

But if you’re limiting what you run on a production system, why does the priority boost of -5 make a difference?

Well, in my case, I do backups using TAR to create a compressed backup. The compression part of this is definitely compute bound! I want my full stack of ADS-B processing to have priority over backups and updates!

(cross-posting this to the scripts thread as well)

bob k6rtm

Or you could lower the priority of your tar processes… :stuck_out_tongue:

And I do… But one of the wonderful things about these little beasties is that they’re full-on Linux systems, containing levels of complexity/detail that should only be taught in Byzantine monastaries…

So yes, I can control the things that I run, like tar backups and give them lowered priorities, making them very background processes, but I also want to be proof against things that go on because they want to, which is why I boost the priorities of things such as dump1090-mutability…

cheers–

bob k6rtm

Good info as always Bob!

Cheers!
LitterBug ke8elk

This build, based on Jessie, does not work with my wifi. It keeps telling me that my psk is probably too short.
I am currently connected via hard line just to submit this.
This is a known issue in jessie and the guys at OSMC have released updates to fix it with limited success.
If you guys saw a few Pi disappear after this update went live, they’re probably using Pi2 and a USB NIC on WEP PSK.
I can not change the authentication method of the network where I am to resolve this, so my feeder will probably be offline until I can find an older build using wheezy.
Just a heads up - new build sucks for me, and probably a few others. Thanks anyways. :smiley:

Can you link to the specific OSMC issue, I didn’t find anything obvious from searching.

Is there somewhere in Dump1090-mutability or the PIAware ‘system’ that I can change the Port 30003 data from UTC to local time? I run the Port 30003 data into a small java script that puts the data into a MySQL database, but when I tries to use this latest image all the data was in UTC form and rather than re-code all my queries, PHP scripts, WPDataTables etc. I’d much rather do it in one place.

Thanks for any advice in advance.

Michael

Can’t you tell the db that the incoming time format is UTC? Change it to local time when you need to use it.
Most system use UTC/GMT date/time and convert it to local when required.

Aviation is, after all, dedicated to using UTC/GMT. Largely thanks to the loss of Amelia Earhart and Fred Noonan.
(multiple time zones contributed to the loss)

If I were the author of the java script, perhaps. Currently running a version of the script from http://discussions.flightaware.com/ads-b-flight-tracking-f21/ads-b-receiver-project-setup-scripts-t36532.html, but want to test out a straight up Piaware image.

I have a Pi3 now running Piaware 2.15 and it locks up every 2-3 days and I have to power cycle to get it running again, it uses hard wired ethernet but I cannot access it by ssh when it locks up. I do have reboot programmed 3am each morning but it does not reboot once it locks up and ethernet link light is not lit.

I replaced a Pi2 after lightning took it out. It would run for weeks without any issues.