New Bookworm Install Showing All Services Down

Hey all,

I recently obtained a new Micro SD card and installed the latest version of Raspberry Pi OS (Bookworm). After installing Piaware per the instructions at “PiAware - dump1090 ADS-B integration with FlightAware - FlightAware” the IP of the Pi on the local machine only displays a “forbidden” message and I am forced to use IP:80 to display the splash screen of Piaware. On the splash screen all services display in red and read “PiAware does not appear to be running.” “Sudo piaware-status” delivers the following:

PiAware master process (piaware) is running with pid 1191.
PiAware ADS-B client (faup1090) is running with pid 1471.
PiAware ADS-B UAT client (faup978) is not running.
PiAware mlat client (fa-mlat-client) is running with pid 2337.
Local ADS-B receiver (dump1090-fa) is running with pid 741.
Local ADS-B UAT receiver (dump978) is not running.
dump1090-fa (pid 741) is listening for ES connections on port 30005.
no program appears to be listening for UAT connections on port 30978.
faup1090 is connected to the ADS-B receiver.
faup978 is NOT connected to the ADS-B UAT receiver.
piaware is connected to FlightAware.
got ‘couldn’t open socket: connection refused’
dump978 is NOT producing data on localhost:30978.
dump1090 is producing data on localhost:30005.

The station is claimed and appears to be reporting to FA as well, Graphs1090 shows activity.

This indicates at least the 1090 service IS running which directly conflicts with what the main page says. Further, planes are visible with range rings on IP:8080. I am running 978 as well which appears to be down and will not come up. Also attempting to assign the receivers with “sudo piaware-config rtlsdr-device-index 00001090” and “sudo piaware-config uat-sdr-device driver=rtlsdr,serial=00000978” gives me the error “warning: cannot set option ‘rtlsdr-device-index’, option only supported on PiAware or FlightFeeder SD card images”. This is an “Add-on” install if that makes any difference in troubleshooting steps.

uname -a
Linux raspberrypi 6.1.0-rpi8-rpi-v8 #1 SMP PREEMPT Debian 1:6.1.73-1+rpt1 (2024-01-25) aarch64 GNU/Linux

cat /etc/os-release

PRETTY_NAME=“Debian GNU/Linux 12 (bookworm)”
NAME=“Debian GNU/Linux”
VERSION_ID=“12”
VERSION=“12 (bookworm)”
VERSION_CODENAME=bookworm
ID=debian
HOME_URL=“https://www.debian.org/
SUPPORT_URL=“Debian -- User Support
BUG_REPORT_URL=“https://bugs.debian.org/

apt-cache policy dump1090-fa

dump1090-fa:
Installed: 9.0
Candidate: 9.0
Version table:
*** 9.0 500
500 http://flightaware.com/adsb/piaware/files/packages bookworm/piaware arm64 Packages
100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

apt-cache policy dump978-fa

dump978-fa:
Installed: 9.0
Candidate: 9.0
Version table:
*** 9.0 500
500 http://flightaware.com/adsb/piaware/files/packages bookworm/piaware arm64 Packages
100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

Any help solving this is appreciated.

Thanks.

Update, I made the following changes:

sudo nano /etc/default/dump1090-fa,

ENABLED=yes
RECEIVER=rtlsdr
RECEIVER_SERIAL=00001090

sudo nano /etc/default/dump978-fa

ENABLED=yes
RECEIVER_OPTIONS="–sdr driver=rtlsdr,serial=00000978 --format CS8 --sdr-gain 49.6 "

This now has everything reporting as green when I issue “cat /run/piaware/status.json” However the main splash screen still shows everything in red while displaying “PiAware doesn’t appear to be running!”. The maps show traffic and the Flight Aware stats page shows everything in green.

Of further interest is that I also run Tar1090 and that will not load the actual map just a few of the buttons around the outside and a loading bar that bounces back and forth. Im unclear if the 2 are related but figured I would mention it incase it is relevant. Not sure if @wiedehopf is around and could maybe point out anything I’ve done that may be incorrect but any help is appreciated.

rerun tar1090 install now that you have the other stuff running.

have not tested tar1090 on top of dump1090-fa for a long time.

Unfortunately, it’s still a no-go even after re-running the install. Im thinking Bookworm may have changed some dependencies but I’m out of my depth when it comes to programming. Tar1090 worked great under bullseye and the upgrade is the only change I can think of that may have impacted the performance.

Interestingly, I just tried it on safari on iPhone and it displays fine but safari on laptop is an issue…

Note: Firefox on windows is also ok. Just seems to be a problem with Safari on Mac so far…

Turns out safari has a settings page for each individual webpage. Opening that and removing the check mark that says “Enable Content Blockers” fixed the maps not loading in safari.

Now just need to figure out why the FA splash page is still showing everything in red/down…