N658QS Citation XLS Netjets, makes emergency landing...

Flightaware flight tracker N658QS (EJA658).

Corporate jet makes emergency landing at Beverly Airport
(from The Salem News)

BEVERLY A corporate jet made an emergency landing at Beverly Airport yesterday afternoon, blowing out its main landing gear tires as it touched down and sending smoke and sparks into the air.

The pilot and co-pilot were the only people on board, and they were not injured, according to police, fire and airport officials.

“The pilots did a fabulous job coming in,” said Paul Vitale, chairman of the Beverly Airport Commission.

Vitale said the plane, a Cessna Citation, was heading for Portland, Maine, when it lost power in one of its two engines just after noon. The pilot radioed the air traffic control tower at Beverly Airport and said he was coming in for an emergency landing.

Emergency crews from Beverly, Danvers and Wenham responded and arrived at the airport when the plane was still eight miles away. In addition to losing power in one engine, the plane suffered electrical failure and did not have reverse engine thrust power for braking.

The pilots had to apply a manual emergency brake to stop the jet. Both rear tires were blown out, and the tire rims were destroyed.

Beverly and Danvers fire crews stretched out hose lines as a precaution because of the potential for fire caused by overheated brakes and an overheated battery warning.

There was no further damage to the plane, which Vitale said is valued at $12 million. The airplane is owned by NetJets, a company based in Oklahoma City that provides private jets. It was built in 2006 and was last certified on Feb. 5, 2008, according to airport-data.com.

About 15 emergency vehicles from Beverly, Danvers and Wenham, including fire, police and Northeast Ambulance, responded to the scene. The airport is owned by the city of Beverly and is located in both Beverly and Danvers.

The Federal Aviation Administration is investigating the incident.

They aired video of the incident on the Today Show this morning. It looked like a fairly smooth, uneventful landing given the circumstances. Of course, they had to sensationalize it, but the media always makes a circus out of aviation related events.

That article is funny but I’ll cut the local rag some slack for their aviation reporting. The picture looks staged, like it’s an advertisement for that brand of fire engine. “Would you bring a ladder truck to an aircraft emergency? If you had the SuperSquirter 55 you would!”

Transcript according to the newspaper:

Pilot: We’re bringin her in
Controller: OK bring her in now, real nice ‘n’ easy coo coo

I trained those guys!!

Wow finally I feel some real sence of satisfaction from my job… :laughing:

Apparently ya’ done good!

That’s a pretty rare failure on this A/C type, I would expect. Excellent piloting by the flight crew!

WRT the staged-looking photo, let me just say that if I had a ladder truck, I’d drive it EVERYWHERE! Pick the kids up at school? Ladder truck. Sunday morning donut run? Ladder truck. Swanky dinner date? Ladder truck. Drive-in movie? Ladder truck. There is no social situation for which the ladder truck is not ideal!

LOL PAG! So what you’re saying is… The Ladder Truck can get Betty’s?

Congrats leardvr… I take back everything I said about your flying box.

Did anyone capture the video of this? Can’t seem to find it on youtube or liveleak…

I’d like to see it too. All I found was a Boston tv station’s report featuring a still foto.

www1.whdh.com/news/articles/local/BO74815/

Click on watch video, short commercial then news video.

Thanks for the link. That looked bad, esp the pilot leaping off the plane.

Pardon me while I go puke from that gross display of sensationalistic reporting… :unamused:

Hey leardvr…they really got on that emer brake handle huh… What technique do you teach in the sim? I’m just asking out of curiosity…

Please don’t take my question wrong. I’m not second guessing the crew whatsoever…they did a nice job. They’re safe and didn’t lose an airframe…it was a good day.

since i live here id like to chime in on this
if you didn’t know, after they landed and came to a stop, the pilots were seen SPRINTING from the plane…i would do the same thing, but I didn’t see that they reported that happening

all this newspaper reports on is politics and car crashes…so yea

One long SLOW pull. Treat it like a woman; long, slow and lovenly or she’ll blow up on you. Yes that’s what I teach.

That’s the way it was taught to me too… :wink:

Apparently, by the way the crew blew the tires so quickly, they haven’t been getting much in the way of female companionship lately… :open_mouth:

Hmmm,

Loss of engine power, caused by a failed FCU.
Loss of electrical power? Caused by what?

I THINK…

When they tried a restart (there is no cockpit indication of a FCU failure) and it didn’t relight they missed pushing the start disconnect. It’s easy to do, but after sometime the battery dies (ALL AIRSTARTS ARE BATTERY START, FAR part 25 rule). This would/could have led to partual failure, 1/2 of the systems would/could have died. In theroy as soon as the battery was discharged enough to open the start relay the opposite generator should have picked up the load. Of course what should happen and does happen can be different.

I’m really not sure what led to the use of the emer brake. MAYBE with the Batt. overheat light they did the memory items wrong, should have been…Note Amps…Batt switch emer…note amp drop. I’ve seen crews do those steps and add generators off. That would guarantee a dark cockpit and the need for emer brakes. I’ve also seen crews do the memory items correct and use the emer brake anyway, b/c they don’t know the systems. In any case we may never know, unless the IP captain tells us.