N4912A Cessna 310 successful ditching in open ocean.

FAA Preliminary Report . . . FlightAware Flight Tracker actual flight was VFR so not recorded on FlightAware.

Pilot reported losing one engine 12 miles off shore, and the second engine 6 miles off shore. Aircraft with 6 persons on board including 3 children, was then successfully ditched. All 6 were rescued by a local boater.

Local News

Starvation or contamination?

http://www.costaricaconsultants.com/bg/wp-content/uploads/2007/PropertyFlippingHeadsorTails_9558/CoinFlip39.jpg

“He saved everybody today. He is the greatest,” Ray Rosenberg says.
Rosenberg is talking about his good friend Bob Dohm, who he tells us was the pilot of the small plane that crashed south of Marco Island just before 6:00 Thursday night.

“The best way to get out of a bad situation is to not get into it in the first place.” - it just came to me - probably said by some wiseman like Ben Franklin or Yogi Berra. Anyway, those of us who land our planes on the ground with a little fuel remaining can feel proud that we are even greater heroes! :wink:

That’s one up for us GA guys…hopefully when a significant non-fatal incident is publicized some people will lose the stereotype that every engine failure = death.

Many passengers I take up ask me if we would “fall out of the sky” if the engine stops. :unamused:

In slow motion!

News Story investigators recover downed Cessna.

NTSB Preliminary released - out of fuel.

HEADS! Starvation, I win.

I take back my previous comment…I wouldn’t consider it a “win” for us when the accident is caused by fuel starvation. Even if you are too lazy or “good” for a checklist I don’t see how you can not check the tanks.

Flying the tanks to empty and subsequently falling out of the sky is a true Darwinian moment.

We just had an Ultralight out of my home airport perform the same trick, fortunately the 70YO former commercial pilot was able to land the craft without injuring himself or his passenger.

I’m afraid I hold such pilots in high disdain.