The FAA (Federal Aviation Administration) flies N47, a ardier Global 5000 (GL5T). It seems to be based at Atlantic City (KACY). Does the FAA fly their aircraft under callsigns (an example would be NASA, who flies their aircraft as NASA38, NASA43, etc)?

Or maybe they just don’t use their Global much.


Here is the flight activity history.


They use the N number for their flights.

In case any one is interested, here’s the information on N-numbers straight from the FAA registry site.

Information on N-Numbers

How to Properly Form an N-Number:
N-Numbers consist of a series of alphanumeric characters. U.S. registration numbers may not exceed five characters in addition to the standard U.S. registration prefix letter N. These characters may be:

* One to five numbers (N12345)
* One to four numbers followed by one letter (N1234Z)
* One to three numbers followed by two letters (N123AZ)

To avoid confusion with the numbers one and zero, the letters I and O are not to be used.

Other Requirements

* An N-Number may not begin with zero. You must precede the first zero in an N-Number with any number 1 through 9. For example, N01Z is not valid.
* Registration numbers N1 through N99 are strictly reserved for FAA internal use.
* The FAA no longer issues numbers beginning with NC, NX, NR, or NL. On some older aircraft, these numbers may be displayed in accordance with FAR Part 45.22.

Special Registration Numbers
A special registration number is an N-Number that you select and reserve from the List of Available N-Numbers for immediate use on a specific aircraft or to reserve in your name for future use.

The fee for a Special Registration Number is $10.00.

Special registration numbers may be:

* Used to change the N-Number currently on your aircraft.
* Assigned to a new home-built, import, or newly manufactured aircraft in preparation for registering that aircraft.
* Reserved for one year. Upon reservation, we will mail a confirmation notice to the requester. A renewal notice will also be sent prior to the expiration date. An online reservation request program is available.
* Renewed for additional periods of one year. The renewal fee is $10 each year. An online renewal program is available.

Aircraft N-Number Change

To change the registration number of your aircraft, send a letter requesting the assignment of a special number to your aircraft. This letter must describe the aircraft by the:

* Name of the manufacturer
* Model designation
* Serial number
* Current U.S. registration number

The aircraft owner must sign the letter in ink, include his typed or printed name with his signature and show his title if appropriate. It is also helpful if a telephone number and current mailing address for the owner are included.

If the Special Number is reserved to one party and the aircraft is registered to a different party, then the request for the N-Number change must be accompanied by a letter from the person or party that has reserved the special number releasing it for use on a specific aircraft. The letter should describe the aircraft as outlined above and give the name of the aircraft owner to whom the special number is being released. The releasing party should sign their name in ink, show their title if appropriate and include the typed or printed name of the signer with their signature.

Upon approval of the N-Number change, we will mail an Assignment of Special Registration Number, AC Form 8050-64, to the aircraft owner in triplicate permitting the placement of the special registration number on the aircraft.

Within five days after the special number is placed on the aircraft the owner must:

* Complete the AC Form 8050-64 showing the date the new registration number was placed on the aircraft, sign the form in ink showing their title if appropriate, and return the original AC Form 8050-64 to the Aircraft Registration Branch at the address shown on the form.
* Carry the second copy of the AC Form 8050-64 with the current Certificate of Aircraft Registration, AC Form 8050-3, as a temporary authority to operate the aircraft under the new N-Number until the replacement Certificate of Aircraft Registration showing the new N-Number is received.

If 90 days have passed since the owner returned the completed Assignment of Special Registration Number, Form 8050-64, and the replacement Certificate of Aircraft Registration has not arrived, please contact the Aircraft Registration Branch at 1-866-704-4715.

The owner of an aircraft may reserve the old number that just came off of his aircraft by requesting this in writing anytime during the N-Number change process. The reservation fee of $10.00 must accompany the request.

If you are requesting a Special Registration Number at the same time you ask to change the N-Number assigned to your aircraft, be sure to include the $10.00 fee and list several acceptable and available N-Numbers in your request. The Aircraft Registration Branch will research the numbers in the order they are listed and assign the first N-Number verified as available.