Move PiAware from 3B+ to Zero 2

Got a working setup using PiAware on an ancient 3B+ and all good. Just got a Zero W 2 and would like to move to this (smaller, nice case etc). Can I simply move the SD card from the 3 to the Zero and have it all carry on working as is??

Depends on the base OS image. If it’s sufficiently new to support the Zero 2 hardware, probably should be fine. If it’s too old, it won’t boot.

1 Like

Thanks for that. Only downloaded PiAware a couple of days ago so hopefully fine.

1 Like

Minor update on this: struggled to get the Zero 2 to work only to realise it wasn’t a Zero2 but a Zero (my ordering error). That’s gone back now and a Zero 2 is on its way, arriving today.

As a supplementary question, will a Pi400 work too? Going to dig it out and try it later but would be interesting to know if I’m wasting my time. Going away in a few weeks and plan on taking a basic rig with me. The pi400 will make life easier.

Edit: - all working fine in the Pi400.

1 Like

A Pi400 is technically a Pi4 with 4GB RAM plus some additional stuff to make it a “complete” device.

With 4GB just for tracking it would be overkill. If you are not using special hardware (e.g. an Airspy instead of the Flightaware stick) the power of a Pi4 is not needed.

Only if you want to run other things on it or would like to have a desktop environment (also not needed for tracking) you might benefit from the performance.

Yeah, I realise the 400 is overkill but wanted to get something working so I can take it away on a trip. Zero 2 W turned up now so will be playing with that too.