Running piaware on a RaspberryPi Zero or Pico

Anyone tried this? I see these are Ultra cheap but will that work? I want to have multiple feeders and this “seems” like a good route to take…

Zero runs it OK. May be a bit short on CPU on busier sites and/or with mlat enabled. The kits that we sell include a Zero.

Zero 2 should have more than enough CPU.

Pico does not have enough CPU to demodulate ADS-B in software.

1 Like

I tried one of the kits with a Pi zero a few months ago and it worked but I seemed to be getting only about 1/2 the aircraft that I had been getting with a Rasp4. Not having time to troubleshoot I just switched back to the rasp4.

Your comment about possibly being short of CPU on busier sites intrigued me. I have both Tampa and Orlando just to the east of me so that might have been the problem. Any ideas on tuning? I still like the idea of using the zero if possible. Thanks

I am using two of them. They are USB-based dongle. I use one for FlightAware and the other for flightradar24.

Thanks Mike. How many planes can you normally see with the zeros during prime flight times? I normally see slightly in excess of 100 with my raspberry pi 4 but was only seeing 50-60 when using the zeros. Obj’s comment above made me wonder if it was a loading problem.
Thanks,
Felix

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.