Mlat not running


#1

Hello everybody,

I reinstalled an image of piaware 3.5.3, and the mlat client won’t start, not with restart. It also happend with the previous update. What is going on?

Can somebody help me?

I flashed with Etcher.

pi@piaware:~$ piaware-status
PiAware master process (piaware) is running with pid 1134.
PiAware ADS-B client (faup1090) is running with pid 1170.
PiAware mlat client (fa-mlat-client) is not running.
Local ADS-B receiver (dump1090-fa) is running with pid 451.

dump1090-fa (pid 451) is listening for connections on port 30005.
faup1090 is connected to the ADS-B receiver.
piaware is connected to FlightAware.

dump1090 is producing data on localhost:30005.

Regards,

Marcel


#2

Does your new system still have the “Unique Identifier” as your old site? You can confirm on your stats page. If it’s different, then FA’s servers will think you’re a new site. As a result, it won’t have a physical location for the site and MLAT won’t work.


#3

As far as I can see, it’s the same. I always begin with an new install when de updates come out. Never allow it to update automaticly. I use the same raspberry pi with the same ip address. This is the second time this is happening to me. Last update got the same problem, I added a new site and there it was again. But I don’t want that to do again because I lose my statistics. I tried to restart, shutdown but still not feeding mlat. Even my locations is set on the website…


#4

There has been a change a while ago, the feeders are identified by a Feeder-ID created during install, and not by the Pi‘s mac address. So whenever you write a new image and do not put the feeder id in the piaware-config.txt, you will create a new site.


#5

Your new Piaware 3.5.3 is NOT feeding your “Site 66423” (see screenshot below: Feeder last check-in : 11 hours ago).
Screenshot-2017-12-3 Dutchy31 ADS-B Feeder Statistics ✈ FlightAware

.

As pointed out by @N456TS, MAC is no more used to identify a station. It is UUID (unique feeder-id) which now determins the station.

A fresh install of Piaware wipes out UUID (unique feeder-id). Flightaware treats it as a brand-new station and assigns a new UUID, which is not linked to your account. it is feeding a new station, which is not linked to your account, and therefore not feeding Site 66423.

If you want the reinstalled Piaware 3.5.3 to feed station “SITE 66423”:

Go to https://flightaware.com/adsb/stats/user/Dutchy31#stats-66423 and note down Unique Identifier (see screenshot below). Then give following command

sudo piaware-config feeder-id xxxxxxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxxxxxxxx

sudo systemctl restart piaware

(Replace xxxxxxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxxxxxxxx by “Unique Identifier” from your stats page).

.

.
.Flightaware Station UUID


#6

Thanks for the help, I am up and running again! Didn’t know Flightaware changed the identification method, Last update had the same problem and started a new feed. But now I know. Many thanks from the Netherlands!!!