mechanical aptitude test

I got an 84%, but I’m going to bet that my father gets at least a 94%.

I also bet that he’s going to try to convince us that some of the correct answers were in fact incorrect. Or at the very least that they are worded ambiguously. (#38? is opposite clockwise versus counterclockwise or it it “same direction” when looking through the blades?)

forddoctorsdts.com/quizzes/M … titude.php
Click on the funny lookin’ icon in the lower left to see the question listing and the grade.

I got all of the gear one right, most of the pully ones right, but very few of the electrical one correct. Simply mixed up series versus parallel versus series-parallel .

In another forum for professional pilots the average was in the 86% range. Surprising considering many of us would have expected higher scores.

62% - and for this mechanically inept person, that ain’t bad!

I’m not even going to embarrass myself to take it (I’m so right brained it isn’t even funny & had to memorize that freakin compass)… :blush:

90% here and I could argue about the wording on two of them! :unamused:

98%, but their answer for no. 26 is wrong. If you look closely at the diagram, the circuit through the three lamps is complete regardless of the position of the inner switch. Closing the switch will not magically cause the current to bypass the middle lamp, the current will simply flow through BOTH paths.

I got five wrong for a 90%. I would have only gotten four wrong but I didn’t read all of the options on one of the questions. I have to agree with JHEM on that electrical switch question.

That was a nice way to break up a Monday at work. Cool test.

See!? I told you.

Ya know, I was looking at that one and i thought it was wrong, but I convinced myself that maybe because the lightbulb had more resistance the current would flow though the lesser resistance switch. I guess you’re right, all three bulbs would light up. Make mine a 86% then.

:open_mouth: 100%…with JHEM’s tip regarding #26.

Must be a fluke…cuz I’m not a very smart man… :unamused:

CFI James is correct - remember Ohms Law (Voltage = Current x Resistance). Reorganizing, that means Current= voltage/resistance. Since the voltage is constant in this problem, the current goes down as the resistance goes up. That means most of the electrons (current) will flow through the (practically) zero resistance switch rather than the high resistance light and that light effectively won’t light. Now if it was a low resistance/high efficiency LED light bulb, the answer would be different.

I disagree in the subject instance.

Perhaps the third bulb wouldn’t burn as brightly as the other two, but it would still illuminate.

Technically you are correct that a few electrons would flow through a bulb, but >99% of them would flow through the switch and you would not see any meaningful glow in a traditional incandescent bulb.

Question 16/17/18/30 measures force/weight in kilograms… poorly written test.

Anyway, 96% and I dispute the two I ‘missed’.

I dispute #24, which I called a series/parallel circuit. The switch and the battery are in series, the bulbs in parallel. The instructions never said to consider only the load!

There in lies the problem with the generality of the question/diagram. The unknowns of the source voltage level and the resistance of the bulb…

I Got 94.

I missed the one about the terminology (Reverse and direct). I still havn’t figured it out.
I got completely lost on the question of the 2 fans. It could be one explanation among others why I never had a C337!
And as far as question 26 goes, electrical current has the property of passing wherever there is the least resistance. If the closed switch is 0 resistance, 100% of the current will pass through there and the load will get 0%.
If we want to get into the nitty-gritty and assume that the switch has a minimal degree of resistance [which it has] let’s not forget that the other conductors, whether the wires are copper or other metal, also do have a minimal natural resistance. Therefore, if the switch is closed in the diagram, the shorted bulb will be OFF.

I understand the principals of the circuitry as outlined as well as the theory, but until I actually breadboarded the circuit and realized a result in keeping with that posited, I’ll have to continue to disagree.

Wouldn’t matter if it were measured in Long Tons, the mechanical principles are the same.

ADHD wouldn’t let me finish the test :wink:

Oh, wait that’s the five kids wouldn’t let me finish the test.

A all
D the
H hungry
D ??? dude/dudits.

Maybe at 4am I’ll do it, looks like fun. The longer I wait the better chance of all the questions being answered on the forum.

Remind me not to come back in here/this thread again - cause I’m totally lost for sure.

I have a question for all of you that have responded/replied to this thread -where, why & how did you learn all this stuff - are you A&P’s or what - I would really like to know what profession teaches & knows all these things - cause this is a foreign language to me!?!?! :blush:

Not that I would like to learn it - but I’ve never head this in hangar talk before - maybe this is what the guys talk about when the girls are all gone… :question: :wink:

88% for a Civil Engineer… Not too bad I guess, since it deals with gears and electricity… No problems on the load, moment, force questions. :wink: