Lycoming Engine Problems

I picked up a new skyhawk less than a year ago. it has only flown 500 hours, and i have had to replace the prop seal three times. another guy i know has ten hours on his new t206 and had the same problem. I am just wondering if there is anyone else out there who has experienced this type of problem.

If you are not part of a Cessna owners group, this would be a good reason to join. I had a similar problem on a previous plane, and being a member of the owners group really helped me avoid a lot of hassles.

A flight school I used to rent from recently lost the prop on takeoff. No injuries. Here’s the article.

not sure why you are calling this a Lycoming problem as they do not make the prop.

If you read the article, you’ll find that the crankshaft snapped which resulted in the prop separating from the aircraft. The 2005 172S only had 300 hours.

I couldn’t find the article amongst the 100 other articles in that link.

Edit: nevermind, it works when I allow the cookies.

yeah i read it. thanks. luckily i havent had any problems that severe, but sounds like it could be related, so far just oil coming out of the cowling. hopefully the guys at cessna can come up with somew kind of fix, and possibly an ad so nobody else loses a prop

maybe i misunderstand the problem, but i believe that the prop seal is part of the engine. a 172 has a fixed pitch prop, so it wouldn’t be anything with that but i will have to ask the mechanic.

If the same moron mechanic is putting the thing on wrong every time, then you are going to have a problem, every time. Are they heating it before they streatch it over the flange? are they using the proper tool? are they ensuring the flange has no nicks? are they using the right glue (hylomar) and letting it cure first before run up and flight?

Im not calling all mechanics morons, becuase I am one. If you are having problems with one shop, its likely that one guy taught the next and the next etc.

One thing that I have found was that most people that have leaks around the prop and pushrod seals are not running there engines lean of peak…what I learned at gami school did not make alot of sense at first untill I tried it myself…I fly a baron 58 and I was burning 17GPH a side before school and after I am burning 13GPH a side afterwards…of course you lose some airspeed…about 5 knots overall…but the cylinder pressures are alot lower than if you run rich of peak…you can go to the Gami site on the web and it will give you the information of running lean of peak…