Landing Procedures Mnemonic

Well guys, I started flying about a month ago and have around 9 hours of flight time thus far :smiley: I’m LOVING it!
My instructor has given me a few mnemonics (memory helping phrases) for some procedures such as “GUMPS” before landing:
G: Gas, make sure fuel selector is set correctly
U: Undercarriage (gear)
M: Mixture is set
P: Prop
S: Seatbelts On

and
CRAG before any maneuvers such as stalls or slow flight:
C: Clearing Turns
R: Radio Intentions
A: Altitude/Airspeed
G: GUMPS Check

Does anybody have any more of these that can help during the pattern for flap settings, speed, etc? This might be hard as each plane has a different approach speed and such. Does anybody have any others? Keep in mind I’m flying a single with fixed gear and prop so something that works for a twin with retractable gear and a CS prop won’t be THAT useful for me at this point :slight_smile:

“BGUMPC” is the one that sticks in my head. And I haven’t flown a piston engine in 10 or 12 years!

B- boost pumps
G- gas / fuel selector valve
U- undercarriage
M- mixture
P- prop
C- carb heat

Emergencies

A Airspeed
B Best place to land
C Checklist

For shutdown:

P–Parking Brake
R–Radio/Avionics Master
E–Electronics (not connected to the Avionics Master)
M–Mixture
M–Magnetos
M–Master

D Declare Emergency
E Exits/Evacuation plan (perhaps pop open a door if you’ve got the time, and if the engine is definitely KIA prepare for the emergency landing by shutting off…
F Fuel.

lieberma wrote:
Emergencies

A Airspeed
B Best place to land
C Checklist

D Declare Emergency
E Exits/Evacuation plan (perhaps pop open a door if you’ve got the time, and if the engine is definitely KIA prepare for the emergency landing by shutting off…
F Fuel.

G pray to God (:

H HELP!

I inhale (don’t forget to breath)

J - Joke ( a little humor can ease the situation and allow greater focus)
K - Kiss your a** goodbye

Who do you radio your intentions too? Unless you are on VFR advisories with ATC, I cannot think of anyone to radio to advise you are doing maneuvers.

There are many kinds of emergencies, I assume this list is meant for an engine failure. For engine failure my sequence is (sorry I don’t like or use mnemonics)

Turn to landing site
Feather prop
Best glide
Restart procedure
Radio emergency

121.50?

Totally inappropriate use of 121.50.

121.5 is emergency frequency. Maybe the CTAF for the most local airport? We always just said “…taking off runway five, departing Eastbound for maneuvering…” and kept radios on CTAF.